Food stuck at Base of tongue

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have for quite some time had a problem that comes and goes with small pieces of food getting stuck at Base of tongue . It's been worse this time though as it's been like it a couple of weeks and voice is slightly hoarse too and have to cough to make voice clearer . I put my finger to back of throat to where Base of tongue is and felt a flap sticking up . I now have swollen glands under chin and not sure if it's now related to food getting stuck

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ray, it sounds like it may have something to do with your Lingual tonsils, which are located at the back of your tongue. I was diagnosed with Lingual tonsillitis on left side about a month ago. Have been gargling with warm salt water several times a day and with Colgate Peroxyl morning and bedtime. Plus drinking lots of water, not drinking cold drinks, eating softer, non spicy foods.

I went to watch some You Tube vids, and did not see anything about a flap in that area. But, I saw one about a muscle in the throat that does not work properly. Also, don't know if food is maybe getting stuck in your Lingual tonsils. I do know that tonsils are Lymphatic tissue, so I imagine they would affect the Lymph glands.

Anyway, I would suggest that you go to an ENT as soon as you can to get a diagnosis. You will relieve stress by knowing if it is, or is not serious. Stress will cause stomach acid, so it could make the problem worse.

Would try the gargles, etc.while waiting for your appt. Also, mildly warm cloths might relieve the swollen glands.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Take care and God bless you.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply . My gp thinks it's something to do with reflux which can cause inflammation at back of throat . She thinks the flap I can feel is the one that opens and shuts for air etc . Bur she also thinks my salava glands are infected and put me on antibiotics a day ago and medication for reflux but still hasn't referee me to ent and said to comeback in a fortnight . So still worried

• Posted

I have this as well. I don't think it's reflux , I think it's a muscular issue myself. My endoscopy shows inflammation but no acid reflux. I'm negative for viruses, I think if it was reflux...other parts of your throat would be affected. My gastrologists said food stuck at the back of your tongue isn't a reflux issue or related. I'm still battling it, so not sure what it is exactly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.