Food to eat when flaring up

Posted , 5 users are following.

Struggling real bad with this flare up and off work now.

First time in 15yrs aswell.

this is what i have tryed to compile on the foods side to try and stop bloating/stomach cramps etc.I am an avid coffee drinker which doesn't help i know.

broccoli , cabbadge, beans, alcohol, fizzy pop, fat greazy foods

chocolate biscuits in volume.

that's the dont eat list but im sure theres more as we are all reacting different.

I struggle with the good foods and what to eat during this flare.

any help on the food front is appreciated.

i have been drinking coconut juice over the weekend and it did seem to help a little

my meds have gone from pentasa 1g  once a day to taking prednisolone 8 daily and colofoam once daily in the space of 2/3 weeks.

thanks in advance

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello, so sympathisewith you.

I find bananas,particularly helpful, line the gut and provide good nutrition. Also I take slippery elm powder, which again coats the gut and bowel and is very soothing and aloe vera juice. I avoid coarse foods like nuts, unless powdered, dried fruits, and all "healthy" greens and veggies unless put through a blender. But, as you will know, when you have a flare-up pretty well everything seems to set it off.

Hope things calm down for you soon. All the best. MC

• Posted

The food aspect is difficult as we all seem to different. I find crisps, chocolate and generally all Low GI carbohydrates including bread and pasta do me no favours and I see a difference when I cut them out even for 2 days. I have no problems with vegetables or salads even during a flare!

My go to for a flare is bone broth. Basically chicken or beef bones, cover with water, bring to the boil then simmer for at least 8 hours preferably longer then remove bones. It turns to jelly when cool. You can then turn it into soup or just season and drink as broth, it freezes well. If you Google it you will see a lot of people swear by it for inflammation calming properties and it certainly works for me. Plus it is nutritious and easy to digest which is important during a flare.

I hope you feel better soon, I'm in week 3 of a flare which is finally beginning to ease.

• Posted

diet aimed at UC sufferers on Guys and St Thomas website. Works for me!
  • Posted

SCD or Paleo diets work wonders for me. Startchy foods are a no go.
  • Posted

Think coffee is starting to cause me a bit of urgency along with chocolate. 

Never had bother before but never had a flare like this before.

Shattered and off work. Bleeding/ diarrohea , bloating and urgency all the same time. (I know you know how i feel)

WHAT'S next in the line meds wise ??

im on a 7 week course of prednisolone to taper down every week till zero day. Honestly not seen much difference now and thats 2 weeks of them but the colofoam gives me a good kip at night. 

All the meds are new to me so thats why im asking alot of questions.

my gp and hospital are always there if you need them but sometimes coming on here is a great help for info.

• Posted

Thank you for all the info aswell. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.