FOODS AND DRINK

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has any one looked at the BPH foods you should eat and foods you should not eat.With me when I eat dairy products it acks up big time.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Yes there are many things that you can eat and drink that will mess with your prostate. Have your doctor give you a diet that you should do. My Urologist give me a 8 page list of think that I can have some that I can try and things I should not eat.

One thing you have to watch is the acid that you are eating or drinking. Theses like tomato's any type of citrus will irritate the bladder. I do stay away from that a lot. But being we are all different some things may bother you that will not bother me.

You can find things on the internet to put in your diet that will help you with your prostate and bladder. Anything will help you to avoid a prostate procedure.

All the best....Ken

• Posted

Stome,

Just to 2nd Ken. Talk to your doctor about your diet. My BPH and resulting AUR lead me to change my diet. In particular, I drastically reduced my sodium (salt) intake as it makes you pee more. I stopped drinking coffee and other drinks with caffeine, but I will still have a beer now and then.

Steve

• Posted

A beer would mess me up for sure .Maybe I Should have 1 as the last 1 I had was before Bph 4 months ago.Has any of you had to pee a lot all day long .

• Posted

Stome,

"Has any of you had to pee a lot all day long ." That is what severe BPH does to you. I had an IPSS of 29 and I was peeing about once every hour in the afternoons. I had a Rezum at the end of November 2018 which removed the BPH blockage so I am OK now. I pee once every 6 hours or so and once overnight.

Steve

• Posted

wow every 6 hours and what I would like to know is there a little build up of urine before you go.With me ones I go abought 15 minutes later I feel just a modest build up and grows slowly.Im always aware of it drives me crazy at times.

bph

• Posted

Stome,

I wrote " I had a Rezum at the end of November 2018 which removed the BPH blockage so I am OK now." I have no more BPH so I can pee normally again. Peeing every 6 hours is normal. If you have BPH for a while (like several years as I did), it is easy to forget what normal is.

Steve

• Posted

Hi Stome,

Diet for BPH :

Foods to avoid : Dairy products, red meat, processed food such as cheese , bacon, ham , sausage, butter.

Foods to eat : Cauliflower, cabbage, kale, broccoli, tomato

Alcohol with moderation ; occasionally

Tea and coffee : avoid

No drink before bed time if you want to get up all the time for a pee

• Posted

Bruno,

Most processed foods are high in sodium and the sodium is what causes you to pee more. Before my severe BPH, I did not read food labels. Now I do. You can find processed foods that are low in sodium. I replaced my ham lunch meat with low sodium chicken at about the same price so low sodium does not always mean high price.

I agree to never drink before going to bed.

Steve

• Posted

Yesterday I went back to the urologist who gave me my urolift. He blamed my constnt voiding on OAB and gave me a list of foods to avoid and samples of Myrbetriq to take. I had a feeling that he just doesnt want to admit that his urolift is a failure

• Posted

Lew,

At some point, you may want to see a different urologist to get another opinion. When you pee, is it like before the Urolift (I assume, frequent but small amounts)? If so, then the Urolift may not have worked. Also, have you had your PVR's checked after the Urolift with either a bladder ultrasound or by sef-cathing? If you still have high PVR's, then the Urolift may not have worked.

Steve

• Posted

I am going to get a cystoscopiy soon so he can check my bladder. He thinks that I have OAB but I think its his failed urolift.

• Posted

Lew,

I repeat, have your PVR's checked with either a bladder ultrasound or by self-cathing! If you PVR's are still high, then the Urolift did not work.

Steve

• Posted

You should also look into avoiding foods high in oxalates. That has helped me even though most urologists are not knowledgeable of the connection between oxalates and bladder pain.

• Posted

Do not eat sugar or inflammation causing foods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.