Foods that trigger anxiety big time!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

You who are following diets that exclude no no foods for anxiety already know about the pretty immediate nasty effects  of caffeine, sugar, all sodas, weed, fried food, fast food cold cuts (the last two full of preservatives and no no oils), and the plus effects of lots of whole real foods of all kinds.

I thought I knew them all until recently. I was doing amazingly well, improving steadily every day (also on the right med) until a few days ago. I started to regress really badly. Scared me silly! My body got so lethrgic it was a struggle to even get off the sofa, and my mind went back to the awful what if thoughts.

After searching the previous week and everything I had done, and finally everything I had eaten. One thing was different. I had started eating a lot of tomato products, sometimes 2 or  3 times a day, so I went on a search and tripped over the answer when I got on an arthritis site by accident. (I do not have arthritis). Since I landed thereand the site was about negative foods, I read the food list. I found what I what I was looking for...the nightshade family, which includes , tomatoes, potatoes, (except sweet potatoes), eggplant, sweet peppers, and tobacco. At the end it said these were also foods that had a triggering effect on anxiety!! Aha!

For a week or so before the regression, I had eaten a LOT of tomato products every day, eggplant a few times and potatoes every day. Cutting them out, I saw a difference in a very short time and am almost back to every day being a good day.

I hope this adds helpfully to your well being, and that non believers in food making a difference, at least take a week or so to try the different way of eating. My fridge is now full of real food, veggies, fruit and whole grain wheat products. (some people react badly to gluten, I don't think it bothers me.)

All the very best to all of you. Take care of yourselves and be well.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Moderation . recently more than one serving per week of potatoes was blamed for high blood pressure in women
    • Posted

Really! i had no idea. Thank you for the input. I am finding the effects of food on the body fascinating. Many years ago, I was diagnosed with a fatal disease. Doctors said no chance. One of the things that occured during the time I was researching how to live, was the meeting of a remarkable woman.She was pastor of a church, a nutrition expert ,a nurse, and a Shakley manager. She had healed herself of breast cancer in the '60's. She had me move in with the family and literally, fed me "well,"

The agreement was that I ate only what she told me to, prepared only as she directed.  Obviously, I am still here many, many years after my demise date. Fortunately, the food was delicious and plentiful. Thanks again for the info.wink

• Posted

I'm glad you found help as you are very helpful. But then can't believe all the studies we read but it's good to know about them

• Posted

I can't thank you enough for your wise observation. I am able to add favorite foods back into meals...occasionally. I did it today, with no negative results. My tummy is very happy, g.

Also, My blood pressure has doctor nuts, even with meds, there is some improvement since I took your suggestion about potatoes.

• Posted

Wow cia, I have commented on this before  You and I'm sure thousand's of people are food senitive. Great that you know this, and it works. You have put some time in this to know your food triggers. I would think that if your meds are working, a food would not put you on such a downward spiral like that. I do not know of any food triggers that have effected me. Once I gots on meds,that was enough. I guess things are different for each of us, so glad you know your's. Must be hard to watch everything you eat. 

• Posted

Hi girl, actually, the foods that trigger are almost all junk. There are a few favorites I missed, but due to g's suggestion I have been able to add them back...occasionally. This food watch is nothing like the one years ago, now THAT was restrictive, but it saved my life.

I get to eat lots of whole real food. I'm cooking again, recipes I haven't done in years...all yummy. Now it's not so much canned, not much with preservatives, rather than cold cuts... slices from a real chicken, turkey, roast beef, etc. I don't feel deprived at all, and other than the (diminishing) anxiety stuff, am probably healthier that I have been in years. I can't believe the energy...like 5 years ago. I am a happy puppy.

As to the foods that trigger, there are two autistic/add youngsters in the family who, after eating the way I do are much, much calmer. Their mothers and grandma are thrilled that they can actually have some quality, calm times with them. So, it's all good, Kimberly.

Thank you so much for your caring message, and thanks to g for his insight that let my two favorite foods back on the table...occasionally!

• Posted

Do you use herbs? Like sweet holy basil? Lemon thyme? Sage? Lemon balm? Fresh and home grown....Ginger too and celery (juicing tonic for the nerves but need to add apple or pear for flavor) all so good on the nerves and lower blood pressure. I have found avocados and bananas are very good foods. I dont know that much in this area at all. very interesting.  I just know I have issues with sorbitol with anxiety and migranes and the basics you noted in the first paragraph. I gear on the lists they have for anti inflammatory as a guide.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reminder, Lisa. My local supermarket sells locally grown organic herbs, and other than basil, I haven't used the others...have tended to go dried. Will put some on tomorrow's grocery list. Yummy.

• Posted

Cia can you help out this girl meagan on here. You know about all the anxiety diet stuff.
    • Posted

In the market, in the organic produce department, I found...organic italian herbal paste. Made from all the italian herbs and blended in canola oii. I'm going to try that on lots of things. Thanks again for the reminder about herbs, Lisa.wink

• Posted

Hi Lisa, is there a way you can get Meagan to reas this whole interaction? Everything is here...and more. If there is no way for her to access this page, then have her pm me. it really would be best if she could read everyone's  input on this page.

It's great that you care so much...actually, we all do. Well done, Honey. Let me know how this goes.

• Posted

Thank you so much for all the informative inputs here. I also had a terrible anxiety disorder 6 years ago. It became worse for a year or two, was in the ER every week for every attack. It was only after a doctor advised me to eat healthy that my attacks lessen, and my condition became better. Yeah lisalisa and cia, you are both right about eating good foods. As for me, sipping ginger tea 2-3 times a day helped me a lot! It lowered my bp too. Everytime i feel discomfort, and my heart beat is gradually beating fast, i boil water at once and drink my ginger tea. A few minutes later, and i start to burp the acid out. Btw, i also have acid reflux and it's connected with anxiety disorders, as per my dr.

• Posted

I truly believe this. I started feeling better but over the last couple of weeks, my eating habits got really bad. I started to eat alot of sugar and processed foods which I don't normally eat and Ive started feeling so sick with higher anxiety.

I have bad headaches, tummy making odd noises, feel bloated and sick and now diarrhea!

Time to get back on the healthy eating!

• Posted

Yes, Linda...you have hit the nail squarely on the head. If I had gone back to that kind of eating someone would be scraping me off the ceiling right about now.wink

• Posted

Linda, Honey please read all the input on this page..twice.  Everything you need to know about eating the way you want to and stop geting  those too familiar symptoms is here for you.

The day I realized that the way I was eating was making me worse, I stopped. Tossed out a lot of stuff and went to the market. From that day on, I've had less and less of those terror moments. The ones I do have I am able to handle with breathing exercise or some distraction i enjoy...

If you start today, you will start feeling better tomorrow, luv.biggrin

• Posted

Its crazy! For some reason I was craving doughnuts. Im a thin girl and never liked sugar in the past. The last two weeks I was shoving 10 doughnuts a day and then I binged on Friday night with 6 doughnuts, a full large block of chocolate and a massive plate of pasta!! And I was still hungry!!! It was so odd??

Ever since then, I've bad tummy issues and anxiety at its high. Maybe I'm having sugar withdrawls or I have made my liver upset??? Hope I start to feel better soon ??

• Posted

Sugar can play hell with the mind and body....that much sugar drives people a bit nuts. Have you ever heard of the Twinky defense?

My sister and I were talking yesterday about her SUGAR ADDICTION. She once got up in the middle of the night, drove (she never drove at night) eighteen miles in a heavy rainstorm to an all night diner, There she said she ate 8 donuts and got another 8 to go, which she ate...while driving in that mess....on the way home. She was so wired that when she got home and her husband met here at the door, worried to death, she actuelly attacked him.

We had a big laugh about that now, years later, but it surely wasn't funny then.

She was later diagnosed with anxiety, hormonal imbalance and an addictive, (alcohol/sugar) disorder. To this day she can't eat one of anything sweet without wanting all in sight, so she doesn't touch it. The alcohol part, she was safe from because she is so allergic to it makes her a funny, wild, drunk...WITH ONE MOUTHFUL.  I have seen it with my own eyes.

On the plus side, when she dropped sugar, her arthritis problems started to fade and within six months were gone.

The sugar sounds like a drug with you, so it's no wonder it make the anxiety worse. I never had a sugar problem, but....with the anxiety challenge now, if I eat a candy bar, I feel the anxiety rise...so I'm off sugar. lots of fruit though....digests much more slowly so doesn't blast the system.

Part of what's going on could be withdrawal. Ride it out, eat a piece or two (spaced out) of sweet juicy fruit a day to help. Eat real food...not processed, or fast food, or caffeine, or soda. I eat totally different now and feel very, very much better.    Oh, at least while you are  "coming down," back off white flour carbs a bit. Go for whole grains. You should be able to add them back later, but if I were you, I would leave sugar alone. Later on when all is well and balanced, try an occasional bite of something with sugar and then pay attention to what happens. You will know if sugar is totally out, or if you can do an occasional dessert.

If you get back on lots of delicious, heatlhy, real food and off the junk, you should start feeling the wild beast backing in a short time.

You will be fine, get the junk out of the house and the food in, stay out of fast food traps, and laugh a lot, espedially at yourself, darlin' girl.lol 

Looking forward to hearing  how it's going!!!

• Posted

Thank you lovely lady. I'm hoping ill start feeling better again soon. I just need to ride it out. Thank you for your support. As tough as I've been, I have weak days too and need to reach out to you guys. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.