Foods to eat after surgery??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys! 

So tonight i finally met my surgeon. I've also just had an endoscopy which told me i also had a hiatus hernia as well as gall bladder problems. (Do these come as a sort of pair as i've seen this mentioned a few times!)

He's told me i can choose a date for my surgery if i ring up tomorrow (I've got privately in the UK). I'm just wondering if anyone could give me examples of meals they had after surgery? I know they say keep a low fat diet but i'm such a boring cook i'd end up just making myself some chicken and rice!

Or even if you can think of foods that you tried and were good on your stomach that you wouldn't normally think of! 

Thank you!

Katie x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi KatieLouise,

?Same here - have a HH and had gb (now gone - NHS op took a year, long story!). Glad you can get it private and quicker, I did have a 2nd opinion privately but could not run to the op as well, due to job redundancy.

?Yes, they can occur together but it is not known if just a coincidence, as they may share some risk factors in common. Having the HH is a pain as it can affect what foods suit and not always the same ones as for gb I found out in my experience.

?I'm a few weeks post op now and am still being very careful with food as I also had other digestion issues pre op. Gallstones for 10 years plus seemed to have taken a toll. My "safe" foods are salmon, chicken, organic beef (all cooked without extra fat), carrots, butternut squash, beets, potato, sweet potato, sprouts, swede, avocado, home made soup ad smoothies. Porridge or gluten free cereal and berries for brekkie. I have gluten free and lactose free, not because I am proven to be allergic (tested OK), but I found these proved safer for me then their gluten containing counterparts.

?If you can consider seeing a dietician, this can be a good way to sort out a diet tailored to suit you. I am introducing foods back into my diet one at a time as I am scared of setting off any other digestive issues. Hope you do OK, I'm sure you will, post an update if you can! x

• Posted

Honestly I think I took it easy for about a week and then ate whatever I wanted.

The hernia and gallstones aren't really related. The hernia can give you acid reflux issues. It's an easy fix that your surgeon can take care of with a few stitches.

• Posted

Hi Katie

Rosemary Conley have great recipes very tasty and easy to make.

Good luck for the surgery.

Tracey xx

• Posted

Hi Katie

My daughter is finding the free from food range the best for her just easier on the body & no upset since having it.

She also had a hiatus hernia & acid reflux so was fitted with a linx implant as well as having the hernia mended & gallbladder out.

She said there is a distinct lack of appetite & the surgeon said keep to little & often.

Peppermint tea for after surgery get rid of the gas.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.