Foot and ankle surgery recovery problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

Some feedback appreciated please

I'm 44 yr old male 9 weeks post op, ORIF ankle & 2 other bones in foot.

My query is this, I was on Oxycodone (shortec) 10mg then 5 mg until recently were my GP reduced me down to CoCodomol 30/500, this is not recovering my pain which feel is on pain scale 3 to 5, at night it now drives me crazy with niggling pain when leg is lowered to roughly chest height. Please advise

Tnx Uel

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This makes me SO ANGRY! My 1st surgeon gave me a two week supply of Percocet when I fractured my ankle, had to wait two weeks for surgery, then he would not prescribe anything more. I was in tears, and because of it, I had to ration my meds. I did however get lucky and found a new surgeon who prescribed meds immediately. He validated my pain, and understood. I ended up eventually only needing one per day because of the nighttime intensity, but some of these doctors are crazy. We are not pill poppers, the pain can be intense. I'm 15 weeks out, and I haven't had a pill in about 3 weeks, so it does get better and manageable. I have just been released to walk in my boot, it's slow going, and my ankle is aching like crazy.  I'm trying my best not to return to the strong stuff and stick to ibuprofen, but if the need arises I don't feel I should be shamed for just trying to get through this. I wish you luck, I hope you can get the pain under control! If it were me, I would call the doc and tell him you need something stronger for evening only.

• Posted

And I'm just throwing this out, my experience. My pain was so intense at times, I felt desperate. I'm not a marijuana smoker, never have been, but I was willing to try anything. I'm unsure of the law where you live, but it is legal here. The greatest calming effect I had was a very low thc and high cbd product. Very low psychoactive effect, but it took the anxiety away from focusing on the pain. I also ordered CBD drops, very expensive, zero THC, and they really helped me as well. Anyone can order those on line, but you have to research the product because purity is important. I'm so broke from all this care, but I would definitely buy more drops. 

• Posted

Guys thanks for all your different situations, I guess our general experiences all revolve around managing pain in different ways post op, my own recovery is going as planned according to Surgeon, problem here in UK is its the GP who then deals with medications, I hadn't seen mine directly in years.

Good luck to all sufferers !

• Posted

Hi 

I know the feeling 

Have you tried the ice strap on your ankle you can buy them on line and  they reduce swelling hence reduce pain  I  used them 8 weeks in  a little bit in comfy but slept longer 

Good luck Lee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.