foot cramps

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I.am 8 weeks post op.and my dr just told me I would be non-weight bearing on my foot for  another3 weeks because my metatarsal bone has not fused together where he put the screws anyway I just started having cramps underneath my foot and forgot to  tell my dr  anyone else had this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am 8 weeks post op after having both feet done and was due to see my surgeon today, but had to postpone as I couldn't get a lift to the hospital that day (public transport from where I live being impossible) so am now seeing him on the 20th. I haven't experienced any cramps but periodically my big toe joints get a bit stiff and numb. I find gentle massage helps. I cannot recall the medical term for the procedure I had, but suffice to say that my bunion was quite large and my metatarsals were gappng due to my big toes pointing towards my other toes. I know I have metalwork keeping it all together and I am keen to see my X-rays. I have been diligent in wearing the special shoes whenever I am standing and walking, except in the shower for the past two weeks when I stand but put the weight on my heels and sides of my feet - up until then I used a shower seat to perch on. Apart from the brief visit I had from the hospital physio to check that I could walk in the shoes and to be told to rotate my ankle periodically, I have had no other medical advice regarding dos and don'ts, so I hope that my common sense has seen me right on my recovery. I hope your bones fuse fully soon and that you can be free of the footwear. Good luck 😊
  • Posted

Oh yes.  I got awful foot cramps in the first while post surgery.  Couldn't stand on the foot so had to try to shake it out!  Awful  sad   Just recently I read on the internet that soap can help foot cramps.....it said to place a bar under the sheet to prevent  night cramps and hold in your hand for hand cramps.  I thought this was wild.  Then a couple of days later I got a cramp (in the non-operated foot which also has a small bunion) while in bed.  I hobbled to get a bar of soap, got back into bed and pressed my foot down on the bar.  I couldn't believe it but the cramp started to ease and was gone in about a minute !  Usually such night cramps get me up and walking around the house in pain for a good 5-10 minutes before they ease.  Have no idea if it was a fluke or not....but will surely try it again when needed.   ! Lol  BTW I'm now 7.5 months post-op and have not had a cramp in the operated foot in months whereas I used to get them frequently in that foot before surgery.  Hope this trick works for others !  smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.