foot feels locked with bunion and hammer toe

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anyone else feel like their foot was locked and twisted with bunion and hammer toes. Mine feels locked and I am worried they won't be able to do anything about it. Going to see a podiatrist surgeon today for a consultation and am up early worrying that he isn't going to be able to help. This has all been a nightmare that I am praying will end soon. Any one got any input please? Very worried and seriously down aboutb this. John

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good morning John.

It's Wednesday 13 May 8.20am and I have just read you most recent posting.

You sound to be in a reall state.

I have been reading your contributions ( assuming that this is the same John I responded to last weekend) regarding your forthcoming surgery.

Now, then, you really must get a grip. You will naturally be very anxious about the forthcoming surgery and what lies ahead for you following the operation. But, you must put all your trust in the person who is going to carry out your surgery and thereafter those who will care for you.

There are so many of us who have undergone this surgery and who contribute to this forum and you will see from all the comments that we have all been anxious and worried that the outcome may render us worse than we were before the surgery.

All of us know that without the surgery our conditions would only deteriorate. That is why we have decided to go ahead and have the surgery.

We have all got our own stories to tell.

I have not been shy to tell mine since joining this forum in January 2014.

I must emphasis that the majority of people who have shared their experiences on this forum publicise the fact that we are very glad to have gone ahead with the surgery . OK there have been the unknown/unexpected twinges in many cases but very few people seem to have been saying they wished they'd not had the surgery.

Please try to look ahead and be brave as I am sure that you will look back in the weeks ahead and tell yourself that you are so relieved and glad you had the surgery( not necesarrily in the days ahead in the first instance, as you will be heavily bandaged and hobbling about on crutches and need to make absolutely sure you elevate the foot and rest, rest, rest!)

Good Luck

Gillian

• Posted

Thank you Gillian I know I am being a bit over the top. You are right and I will try and remain calm and be positive. Ill ost on here after i have seen the surgeon today. Thank you again
  • Posted

Hi John

Don't worry, the tendons could be locked, not that I am an expert but the photo's of the work completed by my Podiatric Surgeon in MK were impressive so they will be able to help. The recovery period is one that requires a lot of patience and take heed of the exercises and advice you receive from whoever does your operation. 

• Posted

Gillian, what fabulous and practical advice and what a calming influence you project. 
  • Posted

John - I am Gill - waiting for my 'call up' in July from my poediatric surgeon.  I have said looking at the photos posted on here my bunion and hammer toes are worse than any of them.  BUT - when the surgeon saw mine he was very calm and explained what he would do.  

My advice is get your questions written down before you go and ask him to write the answers down.

Gillian and Sandra are just one of the few that I have read that are there to support us.  They have been there and got the T-Shirt.  'Keep Calm and Carry On' - that's what they say isn't it?  Pity you and I aren't both in the same waiting room and can compare feet - I bet mine are worse than yours!!!  

Seiously though Good Luck and will look in this evening to see how it went. 

• Posted

As Gillian said, there are very few who regret the surgery and although I don't relish the thought of having the other foot done, I will go through with it. I am really happy with the outcome and it's so nice to be able to wear pretty shoes without a great big ugly bunion sticking out of the side smile especially as I live for the most part in Spain! Good luck John, you will be fine, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
  • Posted

Hi John, I went through all the doubts before my op, even right up to when I went into the anesthetists room next to the theatre!  But deep down I knew I wanted it, it was now or never (I'm 69!, and I didn't want my bunion to get worse - it was making me walk wrong and affected my back etc.

You will need to be patient as it is a long recovery, first three weeks keeping your feet raised most of the time, so make sure you have plenty to do seated.  

I'm now six weeks, getting about the house and garden, still niggly pains but the dull long ache has gone as my swelling is better.  I still have to raise my foot regularly because the swelling comes back if I'm on my foot to long.

I think it is worth you looking on here to read others experiences, that way you will be well prepared with no surprises. 

Keep positive, and heed all that Gillian wrote, keep calm and stay on track but be informed.

• Posted

Did your foot feel all tight and crunched up with the bunion and hammer toes Barbara? Mine feels all tight and out of kilter
    • Posted

Mine was particularly bad when I walked for a length of time.  If you're is like this permanently then the soon you have the op the better. When is it due?
    • Posted

I'm seeing the surgeon this afternoon and if he says he can do it then it will be on Friday. I am worried he won't be able to do it. Still I'll know better this afternoon
  • Posted

I had the same problem your muscles and tendons are very stiff at first mt doc sent me to pt and it really help I have enough rom on my foot now its a process although we may want it right away it takes time good luck with your healing process
    • Posted

Hi sweetheart1 I haven't had the operation yet. My foot feels all tight and crunched up where the bunion and hammer toes have got locked. I am just praying they can do something
    • Posted

Before my surgey I felt like I was walking on fire and it was extremly painful although the surgery was horrificaly painful the process after is such a relieve Itruley hope you find a solution to your problem if you like iI can let you know of my progress since I had the same problem even though everyone is different it helps to hear good news on the same issue good luck
    • Posted

Thanks sweetheart!. You really are sweet and considerate. Ill let you know what they say when I get back later. Going now for consultation and xrays

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.