Foot Injury - no successful diagnosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Injured my foot a year ago, skateboarding. I though it was turf toe, from so much extension. Around the same time, I also had some blunt force trauma on the first metatarsal, also while skating. Not sure which injury is most relevant to what came after, or if both are equally complicit. 

I used R.I.C.E., and started taping for turf toe when I exercised. I found that skating was too harsh in the short run - the extension was too painful - but I could still run on the foot without issue. The pain actually sets in after running. Particularly when taking public transit home, the vibrations on the bus/metro set my foot on fire. 

In the first weeks after the injury, there was some minor bruising and some difficulty weight bearing on the days following exercise. In between it was fine. It continued to flare up until I finally decided "no more." I rested it for approximately 12 weeks. No running, jumping, etc. Only light walking as necessary. I also saw a doctor and physical therapist, and was x-rayed. 

The x-ray showed no fracture. The physical therapist noted a marked difference in range of motion between big toes and prescribed some exercises. They definitely helped strengthen my feet. 

I went back to exercise - soccer on artificial turf and hard indoor surfaces. The pain came back immediately - not while playing, but again, about 10 minutes after stopping. Some minor soreness on the day after, but by day 2 it's fine. 

Once again, the most obvious and interesting symptom to me is that I can run without feeling any discomfort. After running, there is intense pain made worse by vibration. 

At one point, I ran barefoot on sand. I was expecting it to flare up, but something seemed to pop or stretch and I actually felt much better afterwards. It was fine for about a week, then reverted to injured status. 

I'm considering a carbon fiber or similar insole made for Morton's foot/turf toe, but they are expensive...I'm not sure what other options are there. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey there

I damaged my toe jumping off something in the Bahamas. My toe was bad about 12 weeks. 

I agree that exercising the toe is good, as it helped to stay strong and flexible. I also do a foot soak with epsom salt sometimes if it feels inflammed. 

I don’t wrap the toe solo, but yet wrap around the toes when it’s really hurting.

I also agree that hard pavement aggravates mine over sand or carpeted surfaces. And my toe injury was 5 mos ago. 

My belief is that we now have arthritic changes in the toe from the joint being swollen or the tissue being compromised. 

My mri showed arthritis and I’m only 45. Then another didn’t even mention it.??

If you hear any other info def let me know. 

Feel better

• Posted

Yeah, sounds like some similarities. You reminded me of what I forgot to mention in my post - the x-ray showed significant arthrosis in the joint. The doc said this could account for the pain, but I'm left wondering if it's the only cause and also what I can do about the pain. 

• Posted

I do use a custom orthothic, but it’s pricy, yes.

Dicks had some pretty good orthothics that are more budget friendly and better quality, I thought, than the  drug store brands.

A Cortisone shot is pointless, as it will just degrade the damaged tissue more.

Tylenol, ice, icy hot.. all really just numb the pain, but do not fix it. 

I try and take glucosamine and magnesium as recommended for joint/cartiledge  health.

Surgery only lends to more scar tissue in my opinion, and joint fusion is for mult bone arthroses. 

Perhaps, the only true repair would be a PRP shot in the toe. However, that shot is 650-1k and usually reserved for larger injuries. 

Basically, I’ve learned if your overly athletic or do repetitive motions your body will get packback on  you later. I’m not one to sit around, so sometimes it’s the price we pay, I guess wink

• Posted

One last thing, not sure about the vibrations, but it could be nerve damage. 

Maybe good idea to seek out a neurologist and see if there’s entrapment. 

• Posted

Nice, thanks for the input. I tend to agree about the payback - I'm a naturally injury-susceptible person anyway, unfortunately!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.