Foot numbness following TKR (bilateral)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 8 weeks out from bilateral knee replacements. Knees are doing great. Extension is 100 for both. Still stiff and doing PT , however, I woke from surgery with right heal and underside of my foot numb. The numbness also includes the pinky toe. When walking I feel like a deflated football is under my foot. Under the deflated football is a bed of pins and needles. At first Doctor P A and physical therapist said I've never heard of that over and over. An x-ray of my foot and my back was. Taken, X-rays were within normal limits. The sensation is very frustrating and I'm worried that it's permanent I wondered if there is anyone else that has been through this and how long it took it for it to go away for them. Does someone have a suggestion I have tried reflexology and pressure point therapy with a chiropractor. The numbness has leveled out on the underside of my foot but has not diminished. I was prescribed an anti-inflammatory that did nothing and was told to resume ibuprofen 800 mg every 8 hours, Tylenol every 4 hours. The pin and needle pain seems to diminish with this regiment. I can tell that my 8 hours is about to be up because my foot feels extremely swollen however looks absolutely normal other than my heel appearing a little on the white side. Some of the numbness extends up the back of my ankle but I am able to raise and move my toes a side of my pinky toe at times. I would love some thoughts on what is happening and if there is any suggestions on something I should try to get my foot back to Norm. I had no problem with my foot prior to surgery. I am not diabetic. I am 55 years old.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi:  I had a right knee TKR 18 months ago,  I experience numbness or pins and needle feeling in the bottom of my foot which switches from side to side on  the bottom on my foot.  All Drs. say nothing wrong but I bet I have a pinched nerve somewhere in my leg.  I am learning that I just have to live with it and am doing so.  I know what you mean about swollen feeling  and having your foot look normal.

Take care 

Connie

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I am so frustrated by being told that "I've never heard of that.". The reflexology seemed to stimulate shooter nerves that made me hopeful, but essentially just leveled the numb deflatedfootball under my foot, lol. Shoes and socks are uncomfortable than a cushy slippered foot. Has your severity lessened over this time?

• Posted

Gosh you had both done at the same time ! I did ask that question but was told no and oh am I glad I only had one done as I have so many problems 

I would say I have nerve damage and with luck it will come back in time  you can only do what you are doing and wait 

Stay strong keep positive 

• Posted

Sorry that you are having trouble also! How long ago was you surgery? I have been reading everything I can find, but ugggh. I may consider accupuncture even...lol...maybe. A couple of forum discussions said they found some relief with that. The double surgery was more of a mind game for me. Became very uncommonly emotional during this journey. It's getting better and better! The foot thing has been soooo distracting! I hope that you get relief! But until then Your right...stay positive.

• Posted

Since my op nearly 5 months ago have had bother with foot on operated leg. I can only assume that whilst they are operating they manipulate your foot in line with your new knee. Hoping it'll go away in time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.