Foot on Fire

Posted , 7 users are following.

Three weeks post op and my foot is burning, on top all along where the incision is.  I am on an antibiotic.  The incision is covered with a bandage so I can't tell if it's moist.  Is the burning something common or should I phone the dr tomorrow about the burn if it is still ongoing?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Burning is a sign of infection. You may need stronger antibiotics. I would suggest you put in a call. I'm on my way tomorrow myself to the doctor due to severe infection. May have to go IV.
    • Posted

Thank you Bob.  I hope everything is OK for you tomorrow!  I assume an IV antibiotic is in the hospital?  For how long?
    • Posted

bob i am thinking about u.i hope u get on okay at doc and u dont have 2 go in2 hospital.1 day at a time and there will be light at the end of the tunnel.prayers and hugs 2 u 2day and let us know how u get on,take care.

• Posted

Burning can mean infection, but not necessarily. Everyone who has this surgery describes the burning pain as part of the healing. I had my surgery 4 weeks ago. I get burning pain in the vicinity of the incision (which, of course, is also where the internal changes were made) when I do ROM exercises, etc. My foot is not infected.
  • Posted

i would phone the doc just 2 check.i am 3 weeks post op and i havnt got that burning.i am healing great and thats me of painkillers as well.where my stitches are i have a tigthing but i think thats normal.keep in touch and let us know how u get on.i know we all heal differently but no harm in getting it checked,go with ur instinct.take care.

• Posted

Hi Cecil.

I agree with others on this site.

I had a burning sensation for a short time along the line of my scar  but there was no infection and I think mine was due to the knitting together of the skin around the incision.

If you've already been prescribed antibiotics then, I assume, that in order to ascertain your need for these your GP ( or whoever) unwrapped your foot in order to inspect it in order confirm that it was indeed infected. If it wasn't unwrapped then, how can a correct diagnosis be achieved.? Or, were you given an antibiotic as a precaution against a possible infection.

I'd let your GP have a look and if they're reluctant to prescribe any medication without actually seeing your foot unwrapped then maybe you should consider insisting that they remove the bandages to carry out the inspection.

Failing this route,you could telephone your consultant's secretary and ask for an appointment for him to look at it.

Any infection caught early enough is easily treated. But, left to its own devices will only prolong matters.

Good Luck!

Gillian

• Posted

I think this is probably normal as I have had the same experiencefrom time to time I can see my wound and it is fine and not painful when I touch it so not infected. I think / hope this is related to the trauma the foot has undergone , I find it gets worse if I am on my feet too much. Elevation and an ice pack helps. 
  • Posted

11 weeks post op here.   Burning, tingling or numbness can also be related to the nerves which have been affected by the surgery and is experienced by many. There are a huge number of fine nerves in the foot which may be irritated by the surgery.  With time this should improve as the nerves settle down and/or regenerate. I also suspect that nerves can be irritated by the inflammation in the foot....I have a condition in my neck which causes inflammation and nerve irritation and often experience a burning feeling.  Icing seems to help somewhat relieve the symptoms, as does Ibuprofen.

But....it is a good idea for you to check with your doctor any time you are worried about something. Recovery is hard enough without having to be worried or anxious about what you are experiencing.  How are you feeling today?

• Posted

Yes Gillian the doctor took off all the bandaging and said it was not looking good, which is why he prescribed the antibiotic.  It is wrapped up now, so I can't tell how it is faring.  I notice that the burning starts every day around 1 pm, increases in intensity throughout the day/night and wanes by morning.  Maybe this is the nerves regenerating as people have mentioned or due to the movement (albeit limited) to and fro?  For now, it feels like a log on a fire.  A stubborn log!  Wondering how. Bob fared?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.