Foot pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

i was diagnosed over six months ago and given Duloxetine 30mg to help at night time. My feet tingle and burn all the time but much worse at night. Now my feet seem to be peeling and although I have tried many creams to keep them moist nothing helps. Any suggestions?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Ruth,

You do not mention what you were diagnosed with.  If it is diabetes related nueropathy, I highly recommend using a regiment of milk thistle.  You can read my full post regarding using milk thistle and diabetic nueropathy pain in the feet.  I had it progressing at least 15-20 years and the doctors tried me on 4 different meds, which the last was Lyrica, which was a nightmare from hell.  I started using the milk thistle to clear my liver from the meds (milk thistle is widely known and used for cleansing the liver), but it has CURED my foot pains and has been 99% gone over almost a YEAR now.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi. Sorry I did not say it is peripheral neuropathy. I am thinking about coming off the Duloxitine as it is doing no good. My worst time is at night my feet are on fire and tingling, and sometimes I get cramp and have to get out if bed. I never get a good nights sleep and am very wrestle in bed. I seem to get pain in my hips now especially when I stand up after sitting for a while is this another side affect? 

Thanks for your reply. 

• Posted

Hello Ruth,

I am in no way a doctor or medical expert.  All of my experience comes from first hand knowledge having lived with type 1 diabetes for 38+ years and diabetic neuropathy in my feet for a good 15-20+ years, which was a long drawn out condition that was only getting progressively worse (very typical of the condition).  The pains, burning in the feet, 1,000 needles in the bottom of the feet, the "toe crunches" *(felt like a nut cracker in the toes), "lightning strikes" (very sharp stinging pains in the feet) and other times like someone had a screw-driver stuck in my foot and was twisting it.  Each episode would typically only last about 5-10 seconds, but could happen 50+ times in a bad day and still slowly growing worse.

My doctors tried me on at least 4 meds over the years, one being Gabapentin and the last being Lyrica.  Both of those had very bad side-effects on me.  After the Lyrica episode, I started drinking about 2 gallons of water per day and eating crackers to flush the Lyrica junk out of my body.  My "big sis" told me to take milk thistle to help cleanse my liver from the meds.  So I went to Walmart and got a bottle of milk thistle and began taking 3 capsules 3 times per day.  After about 2 days, I thought I had better look up dosage.  I went to the Mayo Clinic web site and found the information on milk thistle and found the dosage.  After reading the information, I found that milk thistle was listed as a treatment for diabetic neuropathy (kidneys), but did not think much about it at the time.  My main goal was to get the Lyrica out of my system.

i was taking milk thistle at 3 capsules (1 capsule 3 times per day, 175 mg dosage).  After only about 6 days, I noticed when I walked, then stopped, there was no more "1,000 needles" pain in the bottom of my feet, which always happened.  Then soon noticed, no other pain in any form...NONE!  After about 10 days I had ZERO foot pain of any kind and even my neuropathy hand tremors had also stopped.

I know, without any doubt, this was directly and solely from the milk thistle, because that was the only thing that had changed in my entire regimen.  Being type 1 diabetic for almost 4 decades, I learned how to be very strict on everything across the board, including even vitamins/supplements I take daily.

It has now been about an entire YEAR and 99% of all this has never returned (I say 99% because I had gotten the shingles virus a few months back and did get a couple of strikes in my feet due to the shingles nerve attack, which reminded me how painful the foot pain was for all those years).  

So now I tell everyone with such pain about the milk thistle.  For me it has been a God-send, with no more pain and no more medication for my neuropathy pain.

Every person can be different and a person should find a good doctor to help determine their exact condition and needs.  The body's nervouse system is extremely complex and can have many things going on.  

But I can state that milk thistle is an excellent suplliment and not a medication.  It has many good benefits, including very well known to help keep the liver clean, f anything else.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

I already take milk thistle, but plan to up the dosage thanks to Brazenhawk.  ;-)

For quicker relief, a dr. recommended to me to use Alpha Lipoic Acid lotion (I just empty & mix about six 600 mg capsules into about 6-8 ounces of cocoa butter lotion, cheapest you can buy) and rub it on your feet twice a day. Really works great to take the edge off quickly (there's a whole explanation having to do with nerve endings and quicker delivery to them via the topical delivery system, but won't go into it here). He also said to take it Alpha Lipoic Acid by itself (no lotion) orally according to the package directions, as it's an excellent anti-oxidant and there are some studies on it and neuropathy (it's an amino acid you can find in the vitamin section).

Whatever you do, stick with the cocoa butter lotion: I tried this with a hypoallergenic lotion that cost ten times as much, and it about burned my feet off! I ended up throwing that one out as it didn't react well with me, LOL.Went back to the cocoa butter lotion and was fine. (You might want to try small amounts first to make sure you can tolerate the lotion OK.)

I also take Hypericum Perforatom, a homeopathic remedy, just a few under the tongue, when I feel it coming on (sometimes it's not convenient to take off your socks, LOL), and that helps stop it pretty quick, though I may need to take it again (I always start with a very little: I don't like taking drugs, so I want to start with a little and take only what I need). Taking about 3000 mg vitamin C, Berberin and the Alpha Lipoic Acid just before meals seems to help stop it developing as much or at all.

Can't wait to try Brazenhawk's suggestion though: be nice to never have to treat the symptoms at all! Anyway, ruth, hope this helps. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.