Foot pains after THR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello!

25 Y/O

I did a THR 4 weeks ago. Right after the surgery I COULD move my foot without problems. Just hours later it went totally numb and just died totally. Couldnt move it in any direction. Just barely move my toes. It felt like it fallen asleep.

My lower leg also lost all its sensation and went totally numb.

All of the lower leg just went paralysed.

Within 5 days after surgery the leg got its sensation back. The foot was still numb and almost no sensation with pins and needle feeling. I couldnt move it.

A week later i could move the foot sideways but not upwards. I had foot drop still.

4 weeks passed and Its now 5 weeks post op and i still cant lift my foot and my foot has now started to BURN. Terrible pain!!

Its like pins and needles with electric shocking combined with burning pain.

It goes up and down during the day. No real pattern. Sometimes the pain is so terrible I just scream and cry. When I push my foot downwards, like pressing my toes down it burns like hell in the foot. Like the nerve screams.

I eat painkillers and morphine but it barely helps for the nerve pain.

Hip doesnt hurt that much. Upper leg has no problems with pain or sensory. Lower leg is 95% fine with small sensory problems at the lower part. The foot is the huge problem.

I had my leg lengthened by the surgery about 2 cm if that have anything to do with it.

So,

Hours after surgery my foot just died. One week later it had alot of numbness and pins and needles.

4 weeks later its numb, hurts to touch. Just the blanket touching it hurts bad. The foot feels like its BURNING UP combined with shocks! Terrible!

Is this good? Signs of healing or is it getting worse? Should I seek medical care asap?

First week i got some movement and sensation back but after that more pain...

Is it the foot waking up and feels pain or is it the nerve dying?

The fact that I could move the foot right after surgery(first hours) makes me wonder what happened. The nerve wasnt damaged by the surgery it self. Just right after the surgery something happened.

Im so scared this is permanent. I cant live with this. Its so terrible.

Anyone had similar problems? Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Will it heal!?

Help!

Thanks you!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Got lyrica today. Hope that helps. Its now 8 weeks post op and still pain and movement loss.... Nerve test is now going to be done soon

• Posted

hi Oscaro,

hope you get this message as id love to have an update on your situation.

im 33 and what happened to you is a carbon copy of what im going through now. its like i wrote those words!

im 4 weeks and 1 day post surgery. woke up from surgery and felt good, just some pins and needles in the foot then 3 weeks post op the pain started. its been 8 days now and the pain is unbearable. went back to see my consultant 2 days ago and he said its plantar fasciitis, which i dont agree with at all, i have zero heel pain.

would love to hear how youre getting on.

• Posted

Hi Oscaro

I had a revision hip surgery in October 9th 2013 when I woke up from that surgery my left foot did not feel right I had the surgery on the left side the doctor said just give it time to heal I waited six months later still in pain went to a neurologist and had an EMG test done which confirmed I have sciatic nerve damage from the surgical site not saying that's what you have but I would definitely if you have not already go to a neurologist and have an EMG test done that will show if you have any nerve damage from the surgery please let us know how you're doing take care Jackie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.