Foot Skin Care Post-Op

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All,

Got moved out of cast into a walking boot today. Still non weight bearing. Now that my foot can be out of the cast, I realized I have a TON of dead, dry, crusty skin all over my foot and my leg. My initial instinct was to scratch my leg (and man did it feel good after all these weeks of trying to wiggle my fingers into the cast to get an itch). I want to scrub it off but also don't want to wound it because that can lead to infection. A nurse said to ease back into it and definitely not shave my leg for another 2 weeks or expose it to a lot of sunlight because the skin is very sensitive. 

Any recommendations for how I should treat it? Or start helping my lower leg look less reptile-like?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Soaks in the bath and plenty of moisturiser!
  • Posted

Oh that wonderful feeling of scratching your leg after all that time.. lush haha.

I use Bio Oil on all my op scars and have used it on my ankle fusion scars and my leg. It is the best for skin.  Baths are good, but showers too will wash it off. You can buy Bio Oil at most pharmacists or supermarkets.

P.s I love peeling the skin off. But as you say it is not to be recommended ....it will get better very soon

• Posted

Mine turned instantly mushy in shower, I then gently rubbed dead skin off with a paper towel when out. My skin totally rebounded in a few weeks, just used normal body lotion, avoiding my scar area for a bit. I didn't shave for a bit either, and when I get to my ankle area, I still go real slow. No special care really needed, water and lotion.

• Posted

I had the same issue and called the nurse for advice—her take: vitamin E oil on the sutures and cocoa butter everywhere else. It’s been a life saver and my leg actually looks like a leg again and not a dead skin farm! 
  • Posted

This is the same situation i am in right now. Even worse im still flaking.. my skin gets dry quite easily. My therapist im seeing says to get a towel damp with warm water and put it over the foot. It should help losen dead skin up. I been picking at my dead skin for almost a few days now (not recommended) .. but i must say it looks better every day. Also use a light if not non scented lotion to apply. And also about the shaving, ive been told to wait at least 2 weeks but i have dark hair so its no problem to me. Wish you best of luck it will get better! 
  • Posted

Soak your leg if you are allowed to and when you dry it you will see that the dead skin will start coming off. Use some unscented body lotion. I, too, was taken aback by what it looked like after plaster. It will get back looking normal fairly soon.
  • Posted

Had my cast removed on Thursday - skin felt itchy. Was put in airboot partially weight bearing 

Came home and sat in the bath gentle washing my foot and leg bit of picking too - applied LBF did the same on Friday 

Looking and feeling better today 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.