Foot surgery and healing

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 4 weeks into healing after surgery on my foot. I've had a bunion fixed and the instep fused because of arthritis.

All the surgery is hidden under the plaster. It looked pretty horrific two weeks ago when I had a full pot on. I'm curious, what is happening to all the scabs E.t.c under my pot? My toes are peeling, I assume as a result of the swelling. What should I expect when they change the pot in two weeks?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like your surgery was much more involved than mine. I have no swelling, no cast, only a special shoe to wear for 5 weeks. I'm sure everything will be ok.

• Posted

Orthopaedic nurse and physiotherapist said my surgery was "brutal".

I had bunion done, toes sorted, they were dislocated, and instep fused. Foot inside the cast feels good and the swellings gone down because the pot almost feels slack.

I have two more weeks non weight bearing. Then six weeks in pot with a shoe.

Just hope it's all worth it.

• Posted

Hi Kim I would not worry. I am in my 9th week after a bunionectomy together with straightening of toes and I had my bandages removed after 7 weeks. Yes my foot was peeling but now it is all gone. I still have a swelling and seriously hoping that this swelling will go in 4 weeks time. Just do not worry as every person heals differently. I am 69 years of age...... thus the length in healing I guess. Wishing you a very Happy Easter
    • Posted

Hi.

Thanks for the reassurance. My foot looked very strange , like I had a skin graft. No pain though.

Have a good Easter.

Kim.

• Posted

Soak feet after bandages off.  Will have lots of peeling. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.