Foot surgery hints and tips - what to remember for next time

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm currently 5 weeks post surgery.  This is my list of things to remember for when I have my other foot done. I may need to add to the list!

- Before the op.  Take a photo of foot (so as to be able to have before and after photos).  

- Before the op. Buy a bed cradle (only about £20).  I didn't bother this time, just managed with pillows but wished I had spent the money as it was quite difficult to keep warm and keep the covers off my foot in bed.  

- Before the op.Sort out arrangements for showering, either resurrect my "waterproof showering and bathing stocking" (bought from Cosyfeet) or maybe buy a Limbo if I've used up all the spare stockings.

- Before the op. Make sure I have enough pillows/cushions to be able to have two bases, one for sleeping in bed and the other downstairs.  

- Before the op.  Sort out roomy socks (big enough to go over heavily bandaged foot.  Also wide-legged comfy trousers which will go over foot, surgical boot and all.  Remember to have to hand a sandal with a substantial sole to go on the good foot.  (I found I got backache wearing just a slipper because my walking was so uneven.)

- before the op.  Buy in ready meals and a couple of bags of frozen peas (for foot-icing).  Also prunes and/or dates!

- day before the op.  Hydrate well (you may be hanging around for a long time at the hospital before you actually have your op and will be "nil by mouth".  Pack an overnight bag (just in case ...).  Pack plenty of things to do while you're waiting.  Make sure your phone etc is charged.

Judy

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Great tips Judy, thought I had all bases covered except the showering one - doh! Ne
  • Posted

Thank you for the tips - i should have my surgery date by Feb 10th.
  • Posted

Hi Judy, I am 8 days post op on foot no.2. This time I was given crutches as I had surgery on both feet, one to remove an over long wire in the first foot done in April 2014, and bunion surgery on foot 2 . I can say it has been so much easier moving around with the crutches for the first few days and far less pain as no weight bearing when heel walking as before. Also on the bathing front I use the bath and slip into the bubbles over the size of the bath resting my feet out of the water on the end. I would suggest a 'dry' run first as this takes a certain amount of strength to get yourself out at the end 🛁📧

So crutches a definite benefit 👍 

• Posted

Dear Judy.

You're a woman after my own heart.

Very wise, Well prepared and having had one foot done and already looking forward to the next one you have learnt, as I did, so much.

You will be better prepared next time.

I was.

Had my first bunion with a hammertoe done in Nov 2013 and then the bunion on my other foot in Oct 2014.

Both have been hugely successful.

I had the bed cradle first time round and it has been invaluable and worth the money.

Anyone reading this forum who is yet to have this surgery should find so much useful information which ought to allay any fears.

Hope your recovery continues to improve.

Gillian

• Posted

Hi Judy, Clever you! What a good idea to make a list especially for those waiting to have their operation done. The foot cradle - wished I'd have had one of those - still I managed - even though my bandaged and booted foot stuck out uncovered from the duvet. Luckily as it rested there on top of three extra pillows with the duvet from ankle upwards, all that bandage around my foot plus the boot, my foot stayed toastie warm.

I shall be having the other foot done in a few months time so knowing what I know now, I will make a list similar to yours for next time.

I bought packs of prunes and liquorice too such a good idea too to prevent constipation which can be a problem when you're not being active. 

Thanks for the very useful tips. LadyPink

• Posted

I would add to the list., esp for a bilateral

pre op, wax legs, possibly a pedicure (without varnish) , dye eyelashes, if you normally wear eye make up.

Find a good solid hair shampoo, saves time and effort when trying to stand, and 

put a stool in the bathroom.

high chair for the kitchen, nice to sit whilst waiting for the kettle to boil.

buy some cheap small throws/blankets to wrap your self in (cold season only) keep in various rooms.

Also buy a few little presents , for those that are going to help you. After 10 days of domestic duties, and Christmas decoration hanging my husband was bowled over when I gave him a decent bottle of whiskey to say thank you, his cooking improved as well.

organise a wheel chair, or any other mobility aids (the Red Cross are brilliant) 

and also make sure that anything you need is well accessible, after nearly 10 weeks I still can't get to items at the back of the lower kitchen cupboards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.