Posted , 6 users are following.
I'm currently 5 weeks post surgery. This is my list of things to remember for when I have my other foot done. I may need to add to the list!
- Before the op. Take a photo of foot (so as to be able to have before and after photos).
- Before the op. Buy a bed cradle (only about £20). I didn't bother this time, just managed with pillows but wished I had spent the money as it was quite difficult to keep warm and keep the covers off my foot in bed.
- Before the op.Sort out arrangements for showering, either resurrect my "waterproof showering and bathing stocking" (bought from Cosyfeet) or maybe buy a Limbo if I've used up all the spare stockings.
- Before the op. Make sure I have enough pillows/cushions to be able to have two bases, one for sleeping in bed and the other downstairs.
- Before the op. Sort out roomy socks (big enough to go over heavily bandaged foot. Also wide-legged comfy trousers which will go over foot, surgical boot and all. Remember to have to hand a sandal with a substantial sole to go on the good foot. (I found I got backache wearing just a slipper because my walking was so uneven.)
- before the op. Buy in ready meals and a couple of bags of frozen peas (for foot-icing). Also prunes and/or dates!
- day before the op. Hydrate well (you may be hanging around for a long time at the hospital before you actually have your op and will be "nil by mouth". Pack an overnight bag (just in case ...). Pack plenty of things to do while you're waiting. Make sure your phone etc is charged.
0 likes, 7 replies