Foot surgery on both feet to relieve pressure points

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi i am a 65 year old lady and need help please.

I am having surgery done on both feet in the next few months to take out the joints on the middle 3 toes. This is due to rheumatoid arthritis problems.

I am very scared and worried how I will cope with both feet out of action and will only be able to go to toilet and keep my feet above my heart for the rest of the time for at least 2 weeks.. I was going to have one done at a time but it involves a general anaesthetic and surgeon suggested he could do both at once. I dont know anyone was has had both feet operated on so looking for advice.

Thank you.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi I've had it done on my second toe in 2016 but not at the same time just got my other foot done may 10 2nd toe shortening and hammer toe correction. Hope everything goes well for you.

• Posted

i have had both my bunions corrected, hammer toe correction on the second metatarsal & shortening on both feet (not at the same time) but had great results from them! pain was bad the first week but was manageable and was smooth sailing as long as you stay elevated and ice and use whatever is perscribed to you! "very important for pain managment and swelling"

goodluck to you!

• Posted

That looks good I'm healing from that surgery I had on the 10th of may

• Posted

thank you!!! my right foot surgery was november 9th 2018, & left foot was may 3rd 2019.

• Posted

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Is there anyone who has had surgery on both feet at the same time so I can find out how to cope.

Thank you.

• Posted

I had both feet done on the 24th of April, 8 weeks ago with minimally invasive technique. I'll be honest with you, it wasn't easy. But now I'm glad they're both done and I don't have to go through it again. Get books you can read, watch movies and make sure you have someone to help. Take one day at a time. I had 2 wheelie walkers, one was tall so I could put all my weight on it not having to bend over. I used that in the first 2 weeks, after that I could walk by myself. I was allowed to weight bear from right after surgery but it was very uncomfortable at the beginning. I didn't have a lot of pain and swelling for a week only. But I did spend most of my time in bed elevating. Stay on top on your pain killers and rest.

I hope this helps. I'm 43.

• Posted

I am 11 weeks after surgery on both feet. I am very glad I did both at once, both for one recovery time and one general anaesthetic. You will need someone with you for the first few days. After that you could manage if you had a helper morning and evening to bring you food for the day and to bring flasks/cool boxes until they return. I could heal walk (Darco shoes) with crutches and could make my way to the bathroom from a few hours after the surgery. I stayed in bed for the 1st 5 days and then made my way to the sofa during daytime. I slept in the spare room to avoid bumping into my husband. I couldnt shower for 2 weeks, but managed fine with a daily wash, sitting on a stool at the basin. Hair was washed at the kitchen sink after a few sessions with dry shampoo. I was not able to carry anything except possibly a light crossbody bag holding a phone and basic essentials as I made my way from A to B. I watched a lot of TV and read many books and after the first week I lowered myself to the floor each day and did some Pilates exercises to keep myself from getting stiff and sore. It helps to have somebody to keep the house clean as it is just not possible to do that yourself. After 6 weeks I was not suddenly able to walk and drive normally,. It took some time to feel sufficiently healed and strong enough. I was driving at about 8-9 weeks and I can now walk about a kilometre before I need to rest.

• Posted

Hi Helen

Thanks very much for letting me know about how you are coping after foot surgery on both feet.

Did you have to lie flat for the first week in bed or could you sit up with your feet raised. I sleep on my side so that might be a problem at night. I must admit I'm dreading having it done and being out of action for so long. I'm not sure how long my husband will be able to cope with waiting on me!!!

I havent had a date for op yet so will get house spotless and fill up freezer and make most of walking about until then.

Hope the rest of your recovery goes well.

• Posted

Thanks, Julia. I was with my physio this morning and she is pleased with my progress.

I lay with one pillow for sleeping, but propped myself up with several during the day. I did keep my feet well elevated on many pillows! I also sleep on my side and before the surgery could not imagine how I would sleep on my back, but it turned out to be fine. I think that lying with feet so much elevated meant that there was no desire to turn on my side. I couldn't have put a blanket over my toes so I covered the toes with big cotton socks (sold as socks for diabetics) that had no elasticity in them. Alternatively you could cover your toes with a fine scarf.

I also tried to start off as fit as I could be so I had done plenty of walking in the weeks before surgery.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery. It will be fine.

• Posted

hi julia

i had BILATERAL surgery last year on both feet

i had HAMMER TOES done aswell as BUNION SURGERY

you will be ok try not to worry just make sure you do keep your feet elavated when at home as the surgeon says as it is part of the recovery process it prevents less swelling etc

you take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.