Foot swollen

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have Type 2 Diabetes. Approximately three weeks ago I got my foot swollen. I decided it was because of my long walk, but now my foot is still swollen. What is more, it itches every time, it is dry and flaking. My friend says it can be a diabetes foot. I am afraid she is right. Heeeelp

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Excess swelling of the feet and ankles caused by accumulation of fluid in the tissues is called edema. It can be localized to any part of your body or generalized.

If your body doesn’t use insulin properly, high levels of glucose (sugar) can accumulate in your blood. If left untreated, high glucose levels can damage the lining of smaller blood vessels. This damage can result in poor blood circulation.

When your blood doesn’t circulate properly, fluid gets trapped in certain parts of your body, such as the legs, ankles, and feet.

Being inactive can increase swelling in your feet. Make a concerted effort to move around as much as possible throughout the day.

• Stay hydrated
    • Use compression socks
    • Limit salt
    • Get up and move every hour
    • Try magnesium supplements
    • Experiment with essential oils
    • Soak your feet in Epsom salt

You should also see a doctor for swelling that only occurs on one side of your body. This could be a sign of deep vein thrombosis, which is a blood clot that develops in one or more of the deep veins in your leg. This condition can cause pain, swelling, or have no symptoms at all.

Also, make a point to check your feet regularly for wounds to avoid infections. If you have any sores, ulcers, or blisters that don’t heal, see a doctor.

• Posted

I just saw my doctor and she said I should use diabetic lotion for my feet. I will try it and say inform you about the results. Keep your fingers crossed....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.