Footwear solutions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Finding with broken ankle and the problem of swelling, I can't find shoes to fit. If I go for wider fitting to suit broken ankle they are then dropping off my good leg. 

So far I have been constantly in lace up trainers. Comfortably yes but didn't quite match outfit wanting to wear out to lunch on Sunday.

i have many shoes ranging from heels to flats, did you ladies manage to get back into your footwear you had before your ankle problems. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gill.

I can't be much help because I didn't wear shoes until post op 5 months. I can wear Sketchers which are very comfy. I have swelling when I've been walking and the shoes stretch a bit thank goodness. I know for the first few months I wouldn't have been able to wear any shoes because the right ankle was huge but I was in a camboot for months.I have worn a pair of flat sandals with a dress but it's been hot here. I am afraid I've said goodbye to my heels for ever. I'm sure some of the other ladies will be able to help you. I know we ladies love shoes but as long as we can walk that's the main thing. 🙂

• Posted

Trainers I wear also Skechers, looking into buying a pair of their canvas slip on. Think like you it be goodbye to heels. (That give loads more room in wardrobe) 

It's trying to find something comfortable and safe for both feet.

as you say it's the walking is the most important thing. Pleased this week have managed to shuffle around the bed unaided. 

Your lucky with weather, today we had ground frost that keeps me indoors, till confidence builds and weather improves this is where I'll stay.

• Posted

I wouldn't throw your shoes or heels away yet.  Your foot and ankle will be less swollen eventually.  I am 5 months post op and I prefer a Clarks In Motion Rocker shoe, it's cut below the ankle and doesn't rub. They would look ok with pants, but not a dress or skirt.  I still have nerve pain over the incision site.  I have worn several pairs of leather boots. My tennis shoes rub on my ankle.  I wouldn't feel safe in heels, but I imagine I will in a few months.  I never wore them much anyway.  Sounds funny, but you could buy two pairs of shoes in different sizes.  I'm glad you're feeling well enough to get out to a nice occasion. At this point, I live in my Clarks.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda, will have a look at Clarks shoes you mention. Been out and about more since broke ankle. Tend to end off after various appointments for pub lunches. At first was in wheelchair, then with zimmer and last two weeks on crutches. 
  • Posted

Gill-almost 9 weeks from surgery and "yes" my foot is too swollen to get into any of my shoes. But I figure the answer will be in lace-ups or low cut flats. Heels I will never wear
  • Posted

Wearing lace-ups most of the time, Ecco, leisure shoes in versatile black and some chunky Chevron (French make) in a dazzling shade of mustard!  Also wearing anlke boots which don't rub when worn with longish socks, these close ith Velcro, so convenient  to adjust.  Also find leggins and thick tights good. Felt totally liberated when I took 5 pairs of 'Barbie' shoes to the local charity shop.  It may be a while before your ankle is flexible enough to get into higher boots, which look great with skirts, especially long ones in winter.  I have kept a few pairs of low wedges which I hope to wear later in the year.  You can always try putting a thick insole in the larger shoe or wearing one thick and one lighter weight sock.

​When I had almost identical injury on the other ankle some years ago I found it was about a year before I could wear heels.  I never reverted to really silly shoes except to pose in at social events where minimum walking was required.  You would be surprised how many women, even without ankle injury have given up heels these days.  Best of luck with shoe shopping and walking.

• Posted

Thanks, good idea about one thicker sock on good foot. Never thought about that. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.