For all those suffering with Morton’s neuroma - my struggles

Posted , 27 users are following.

I keep reading everyone problems with Morton's neuroma so I thought I would relate my storey, in the hope that it may help others. I live in teh states but I'm sure you can find the same treatments closer to you.

When I went on a ski trip with my family about eight years ago, I ended up in the ski shop because my foot hurt too much to ski. I thought that my boot was too tight and that was causing the burning pain and tingling in my foot. Luckily, my wife is a Pain Medicine physician and she diagnosed a Morton’s neuroma. For every subsequent ski trip, she gave me a steroid injection into my Morton’s neuroma several days before the trip, which helped.

Eventually, I decided that I wanted a more long lasting and permanent solution. Initially, I had the neuroma frozen (cryoablation), which improved my pain substantially but the Morton’s neuroma still remained. Finally, I just wanted to be rid of it, so I had a sclerosing agent injected into the neuroma under ultrasound guidance. After a few weeks, this procedure was repeated and since that time I have had no further foot pain. I now get to ski with my family without any pain.

I am a doctor (and avid athlete) and spent many years researching treatment options for my Morton's Neuroma before finally being cured. As a result of the many years of frustration that I suffered with Morton's and the general difficulty in receiving adequate treatment, I urged and prompted my wife to open the Center for Morton's Neuroma.

I hope that people like me who suffered from Morton’s neuroma can find the correct treatment for them.

-Mark

_____

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an e-mail address from this reply as it is the policy of patient.info to not publish these within the forums. Please refrain from distributing this information in this manner. If any user is interested in this removed information they should contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

patient.info/forums/discuss/adding-links-to-posts-257271

patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Following to decide wether to do RFA. I also had a broken sesamoid (didn’t know) and needed to heal that first according to Dr. He had me in special orthotics last November. They had a metatarsal pad. I wore them every day for five months with a stiff sole shoe. The sesamoid is healed but can refracture easily at this point so I’m still having to be cautious, but can now go without the orthotic for short periods of time slowly increasing that time. I have noticed during this time that one neuroma seems to be gone, or at least I don’t feel it. The other one, the worse one, feels better. Just discomfort or the “bunched sock” feel some times. Kind of hoping it goes away all together, but it’s been there for at least six years so I’m not sure. Thanks to all who post their experiences and questions and those who answer them. The info is helpful. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.