for Dinoaurs - a wander down memory lane

Posted , 8 users are following.

Calling all dinosaurs. Frequently something on the forum, and elsewhere for that matter, sparks a memory that I have not though of in decades. such was the case just yesterday when the grocer's boy came to mind. Where has he gone? Where his iconic cycle with its big basket and small wheel up front? Pop your memories here. Other dinosaurs will enjoy the memory. The young will be amazed or even perplexed at the things we dinosaurs have tucked away in our memories.

6 likes, 401 replies

401 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

the biggest one i have is the milk vending machine that used to stand outside dairy's

and at bus and train stations. used to sell 1/4 pint cartons.

and potted meat from the local butcher by the quater not out of a jar .

lovely sandwiches .yum razz

• Posted

Not quite ancient but I remember the half pint milk when I was at nursery and reception at school
  • Posted

Good subject George, and funny as well... there's much I can remember! As a school kid.

Sure, we didn't have the internet, PlayStations or thing called One Direction.

But we had Mary, Mungo and Midge, The Clangers, Wooden Tops (Weeeeeeeeed, no not the weed we here about on the News these days!), Andy Pandy on TV, in Black and white, no colour TV's existed back then.

Like Jimmy-UK I remember the glass half-pint bottles of milk every morning in school, back then you didn't have a choice of various milks.

I used to look forward to my weekly Whizzer & Chips comic and annuals are Christmas Time! I know probably sounds sad to kids of todays generation.

We did have stink bombs though, I remember going to the Joke Shop buying a pack and letting them off in buses and shops..... I know it was wrong, and the smell was atrocious but we found it hilarious.

Our mum used to washi the pint empty milk bottles for the Milkman and he would give us 4 full ones. Mind you that changed in the 80's and 90's, people were stealing them before we had picked them up and brought them in.

One thing you could do back then and not to day was leave your front door unlocked, crime rates was very low.

I remember the Green Shield Stamps, you could get them in values of 5 and 40 and stuck them in a book.

I remember our first house phone, a big bulky black thing (not digital back then!) and no wireless.

If you had more than one TV which was Black and White in the house you were classed as rich. Ours was only about 20 or 22 inches and weighed a ton, and you had rounded corners (gawd, I nearly sent this with "curtains" on the TV not "corners"! LOL lol) Dam Tramadol it does make me do stupid things, and believe me I have done many. While I'm on that subject you can have a laugh on me.... and this happened recently!

My wife was out, I thought I would help her by washing my clothes so I did, well that is what I thought!! My wife had only popped around the corner to get a few items of shopping. Anyway, I came back on here and carried on replying to a message. My wife returned and asked me what is that awful smell, at the time I had a cold anyway so I couldn't smell anything. Then my Wife went in to the Kitchen and said "Les, what have you done??" I said "I put some washing on to wash"... but stupid me, and I had not long taken 11 tablets (Morning dose) - I had put all my clothes in with smelly socks on high heat, so they  were "festering away" in the Tumble Drier!!! I didn't even use the right machine and most of the socks were mine and my sons! So, can imagine the stench! lollolredface

• Posted

sounds lovely odure of socks could catch on .

i think your find everyone ! that the school milk was a 1/4 of a pint with paper straws .that went soggy if you didnt drink it quickly .

and do you what, not one kid in my class was alergic to milk we all had it . no worries . the problems only started to get really bad when they started to mess about with it .taking the fat out .STRANGE!cheesygrin

• Posted

Hehehe Curtains on tellys and cooking smelly socks, those are some drugs! lol
    • Posted

Interesting, hadn't thought of that. I didn't know anyone with allergies back then and now it seems nearly everyone has them!
    • Posted

i think its because we mess about with our foods to much 

only 3 types of milk i remember as a kid was full fat and gold topand sterilised that came in those tall bottles with a metal cap.

we ate seasonaly lots of veg , set food times and limited sugar .we opened windows more and our floors were covered in lino and rugs  and we had open fires . we moved more and relaxed well .now its all wrong upside down back to front. lol

• Posted

Hi Tiswas, do you remember In the winter the janitor left the milk outside in the playground ready for us at breaktime. Those straws were just the thing to sip up the ice that had formed in the bottles. What a waste. 
    • Posted

no we always had milk in class room befor we went out to play cool
    • Posted

The programs were better but the black and white although they were actually blue and black.

The curtains were useful. It was not nice to eat in front of the actors. Yes, that is what I said. For many years there were people who thought just that. (Don't scoff young dinoseaur, there are pleanty of people who believe soap operas and a few soap powder advertisements even today.)

• Posted

Wow you mean they thought the actors could see them? Amazing.

When I was young I always had a feeling that pictures and posters of people looking directly out at you were actually watching me, so I chose posters of people looking slightly away. Yes it really disturbed me! lol

• Posted

People are still like that these days, and place sheets or curtains over TV sceens. Back then it was Cathode Ray Tubes, and used scan lines which is very old technology.

These days you would take a higher approach, because webcams can be accessed remotely if you know what you are doing. I don't cover any camera's up myself, but my wife has always done so even on tablets, well her iPad now and mobile phone.

There is a reason why people should be more careful these days with Public WiFi, anyone that is using Firefox with the right extensions can intercept Skype, FaceTime, and many other protocols using the same WiFi and they can be even sat in a car outside a MacDonalds either watching you, or watch you access your bank online. Public Wifi is okay for browsing normally, but as for purchasing things online and banking you have to watch, it is one of the easiest things to intercept because of lack of security!! If you didn't know that now you do!!!

• Posted

Oh yes, scan lines. the picture made up of every alternate line scanned - every odd line and then every even line. A coarse picture by today's standard, but it worked.
    • Posted

Yes, just so. At least I thought it then. I expect it was as you suggest. Intellectually they knew they could not be seen. At a primeval level they felt watched.

We are so used to the TV now we hardly notice, no more than a cat or dog. I saw this with one of our cats. She watched the TV attentively when it was on. After a very few days she decided it was nothing to do with her and thereafter ignored it - except when a dog barked on TV. She instantly did her world famous imitation of a camel and a bottle brush.

• Posted

Given my history it will not surprise you if I blame polution both outside and inside our homes for the terrible rise in autoimune diseases, cancers, vascular problems. If we fixed the polution whose pockets would be hit? Yes all of ours, that's a no brainer. What would really be effected is big big buiness profits. mmmm yes? is the magnituted of our problem beginning to dawn?
    • Posted

i think our autoimune problems comes from being to clean .using to many chemicals in our homes,my nan dry or wet dusted , had a carpet sweeper a big old one wooden .carbolic soap, blue bag in a copper for her whites

sunlight soap for her hand wash with some dreft ,dettol ,and thin bleach for out side lavey , never knew her house as dirty ,

never knew them ill like us , today.

my granddad had flu in 1968 ,and was in hosptal for a while because of his cheast from the pit, and then he had some heart problems in 87  but never sickly like us lot .

lol

• Posted

i couldn't eat chili because they had "kidney" beans in them...ewww. lolol
    • Posted

Yes, too clean as infants seem to increase the risk of asthma. Polution in air and food, cleaning things, cosmetics, plastics.

And men had no problems with men issues that afflict young men nowadays. What a scourge. Side effects of the pill and plastics mainly.

• Posted

I have the flu jab every year! TBH, my doctor recommends it - the starnge part about this is, the worse cold/flu I ever had was after a flu jab when I was 22 years old. Now, I have never had a cold since - whether this is down to all the medication I'm on, I do not know - I do get the odd morning in the summer where I have slight hayfever signs, but they only last about a hour. Yet everyone else in the house gets coughs, colds and flu, and my daughter is asthmatic. My wife and daughter has the flu jab....perhaps I am immune to colds in general. Or it's my breakfast in the mornings... A glass of pure Orange juice, a bowl of porridge and a banana! Then comes the meds spaced 30 mins apart. You could literally set your watch by my days. lol

My daughter has colds and coughs right through from summer until the end of winter, and asthmatic attacks, she's on steriod inhalers. And they send her hyperactive on some mornings, shes like a possessed child, even we notice and so does the school, but I did have to contact them about her behaviour in probably the first 3 lessons of the day, where it would peak. It's not too bad now, but some days are worse than others.

George, the Camel and bottle brush! lol We have two cats and a mininature Jack Russell, everyone thinks he is still a puppy, but he is 6 years old! lol Our cats, well all animals have their own personality - we have a pure white cat, she's is timid as anything even birds frighten her. Now the black and white cat, well she sits in the bird house on sunny days! The dog, Oscar - well, everyone that meets him wants to take him home - he's fully trained, ignores everything except one thing... his dog ball! You pick that up and he will play all day with you, people ask if we a dog course we say yes, and they are shocked by not only his small size but temperment. He doesn't bite anyone, or anything he's happy with a meal a day and his ball.

But you have to see them working together, it is funny! If you leave any meat on a plate the cats will jump up on the side, and because Oscar is so small, the cats get pieces for him, so he's not left out either. He sleeps on our bed, on a little blanket. If the tumble dryer is on, he lies in front of it, just to get warmer. He has some strange ways for a dog, he hates the rain, so he doesnt like his feet wet, so he licks them dry. Now, if we have a hail storm it's another matter, then he flies out the back door catching them thinking they are little balls.

Animals, can be so friendly - more so if brought up together! Not sure who else has pets but they all have their own ways. it's funny to watch them play.

• Posted

Did any of you have to stand in line to receive a cube of sugar with a red dot on it for polio?  And, the test with a needle under the skin..TB test?  I remember having all kinds of shots in school.  I was always afraid I would cry in front of everyone...seemed the other kids had that fear as well.

biggrin

• Posted

yes .and i remember having the tb jab to ,i think the doctor who gave it me must have worked for the ss bloody hell it hurt .eek
    • Posted

theres absolutly no proof that flu jabs work

i havnt had one since reading many articles on the subject about 10 yrs ago 

i havnt died yet . 

even with fibro iv got thru bouts of flu. the only time i may consider the flu jab would be a serious pandemic where it crossed borders ,like in world one . where it killed more people than the actul war , 16 million civillian and miletry deaths from the war / 20/40 million from the flu.in one yr 1918/9eek

• Posted

Les, your memory is packed with interest. Thank you. You mention your tumble drier. Put me in mind of our three toddler boys, only 13 (yes thirteen) months between them. Kind little souls saw our pug had got wet. They put her in the Keymatic and spun dried her. We were horrified and rushed to the rescue and off to the vet. Nothing to be done but wait and see (Active Servailence for PCa people). The poor wee dog was dizzy for three days. She was right as rain after that. What puzzles me is how the boys got that machine to spin. A wash would have been deadly.

The dizzy pug lead my memory on to drunk peafowl. They are unfriendly birds. The only way to get them to feed out of our hands was to offer raisins. Someone, I think one of my uncles soaked his raisins in his whisky. The birds were happy enough with that. They became very amusing as they staggered drunkenly around.

• Posted

Yes, flu can be a real killer. As for flu jabs for once I am not cynical (i get nervous when writing to someone who can spell. Still you are not my school teacher so I shall crash on  cheesygrin .) Flu japs are prepared on the best guess as to the most common strain in the coming winter. They cannot be tested. We just have to wait to see if they help or not.

I shall now return to being cynical. frown 

George biggrin

• Posted

I remember the polio and sugar cube and the jab. Some girls cried, but boys I guess were more robust, I never cry over needle even though the last lot of BoTox were larger than norrmal and that stuff is thick in liquid form. I will admit that last lot did bring a tear in one eye, the pain was unreal - having 4 in just one muscle is a killer, and then 1 on another muscle.

The side-effects are enough to put most people off - if the BoTox goes too far down the muscle then you cannot swallow for 2 weeks. This is when you must stay in hospital and fed via a tube!

Never happened to me, hopefully never will. How people have it for cosmetic purposes I'll never know, I have well in excess of £700 worth every 10 weeks. It's cheaper I think for cosmetic purposes.

• Posted

I've been refusing the flu jab for over a decade! Same as you, heard of ill effects.
    • Posted

hi les do you  mind telling me why you have to have the botox

i know they inject it into excessive sweaters to block sweat glands 

but   yours sounds awful .poor you.

• Posted

theres absolutly no proof it works its just a cash cow for all the big pharmcitcle companies.eek
    • Posted

iv read a lot of reports on the flu jab, from all differant angles if you think having mercury injected into you is a good thing thats fine ,mercury is totaly toxic and no matter what they say there is no safe amount , 

thats why a lot of people have tummy upsets after jabs, 

thats just one of the nasties in the vaccine . theres a whole list 

there a cash cow for the big pharmuctle companies 

theres absolutly no evidence they work .

and if there so good ,then how come a large number of hospital staff and GPs do not take up the jabs.eek

• Posted

Yes Tiswas I have read various articles, some will be the same ones. I had one very good Doctor, the one who said "I don't know" when he didn't and he was for them. The vaccine may work if the industry has guessed correctly.

Since reading about the heavy metals used to sterilise the vaccine I have kept going with a detox that removes heavy metals. There is so much polution that we are picking up I hate to think how many harmful traces we pick up. So detox seems a sensible precaution anyway. I should hate to get into he grips of ME again. Just robs you of years of life right in the younger years most often when life should be at its best. Quite hateful, isn't it?

• Posted

Hi Tiswas,

Of course I do not mind telling you, besides no one learns anything unless they ask these days... Which is true, in many ways!

The main reason is you have Sternocleidomastoid Muscles either side of your neck, now with a normal person these muscles work independently, mine don't. My left Sternocleidomastoid Muscle pulls my head to one side and down, basically pulling my chin in and towards the trapezius muscle, this is a constant pulling, or spasm all day and causes the muscle to bulge out. My right Sternocleidomastoid Muscle is streched all day, basically my brain is sending the wrong signals to the wrong muscles. Hence, why I am in so much pain. Now add to this, my head pulls to the left, but my right arm pulls inwards, hence I cannot use a manual wheelchair or an electric one.

As you probably know, BoTox or (botulinum toxin) is a purified derivative of botulinum toxin A, made from a bacterium that is a deadly poison. It is used medically to treat muscular conditions, by paralyzing the muscle - however, this takes 2 weeks to have any effect then at around 6-8 weeks the body basically has used it up, hence a cooling period of another 2 weeks. So, you have a pattern 6-8 weeks where the pain is not too bad, then 2-4 weeks where you have to take painkillers, at the moment they are trying to remove the Tramadol and the Amitriptyline, from the concoction of medications.

At the moment, that concoction is BoTox 5 injections every 10 weeks, 3 x Tramadol 50mg, Amitriptyline 2 x 20mg and 8 x Paracetamol a day. And all that is for the pains I have not just in my neck, shoulder, but also the top bicep and tricep muscles on my left arm. What makes my condition worse is all the above causes pain from above the waistline on the left side of the body, but I also have to cope with my right leg which has a severly bad gait.

Some days I can get by using a quad stick, but most of the time, it's in a wheelchair. Stairs is out of the question, stupid really, my doctor used to be downstairs, since the surgery changed around and all the main doctors moved upstairs, I have to ask at reception if I can see my own doctor downstairs. There is no lifts yet, but they are in the process of building a brand new Doctors Surgery, with a Pharmacy in the same building with lifts, that to me will be welcome. The current practice serves a large area, and with around 15 doctors available it is not too bad.

The amenities at the moment are quite good, I can phone up for any medication, the doctor places the prescription on her system and can see instantly I am on the electronic system, which means the prescription bypasses the doctors reception (where they used to get lost) and goes straight to the pharmacy, it is entirely up to me if I want to collect them or have them delivered. Either way I have to sign the prescriptions twice because of Class "A" medication. At one point you would see the odd teenager in the pharmacy, not doing anything apart from listening if you were called to see the pharmacist, then they would follow you outside asking if they could buy any Class "A" drugs!!! I'm on 3 types, but never sold them on, that's a criminal offense to start with, and I only ask the doctor for 2 months supply even though I see my doctor quite often because of the Personal Care Plan trial which is on in my area.

This will sound ironic I see my Doctor, who is a woman at the surgery, yet I see her husband at the hospital because he's a Neurologist!

So, there you go Tiswas! Probably more than you expected! lol But you know me, I go in to everything in detail. lol smile

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

poor u hun it all sounds awful 

think i would go insane if it was me.

i hate being ill and not being able to do stuff 

my fibro is a nightmare for me as it restricts me due to pain 

but i still have the physical abilities 

which is a plus. you seem to have that mostly taken

away . well i  hope the treatment keeps working for you 

and that it dosent get any worse . eek

• Posted

hi george 

just found a couple of htings that might be worth looking into

if you havnt all ready 

nutritional yeast flakes , its a deactivated yeast so no nasty problems you get with live yeast, its got a taste like cheese so it says and is full of b vits .

and collagen supplement thats suppose to help with flexability in tendons,muscles ,joints and ease pain by doing so, good for skin hair and nails to . .just thought you might be interested.cheesygrin

• Posted

Thanks Tiswas,

A good and possbly a sustitute for cheese  and  something to keep joints healthy. I shall have a look for them.

• Posted

no probs. since fibro iv spent hours looking over the internet for things to help , then i switch it of and forget what it was ,

i now check things out on F/B  page alternative c ures not medincine and other such sites and forums ,and anything that has something sensisable behind it , and makes sense i jot down in a note book and research it later .

i believe marigold is one brand of n/a/y eek

• Posted

I cured a horses nose with Marigold! My neighbour over the road phoned me because one of her norses noses got covered in warts. I had some Marigold growing so I made a compress with St John's Wort, and extra for her to use and took it over. She said his warts were gone within a few days. Good stuff!
    • Posted

Norses noses! lol I love typos sometimes.
    • Posted

marigold is the brand name of the deactivated yeast .

but i take your point ,about the flower marigold does siound like good stuff

• Posted

Norses hoses biggrin would be a delightful double typo and spoonerism razz 
    • Posted

Neighbours neighing norse horses with hoses watering their roses. Now I know I've lost the plot! eek
    • Posted

But you got a laugh from me - neighing norse's noses indeed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.