For how long to take famotidine

Posted , 2 users are following.

how long to take famotidine for esophagitis or GERD how many weeks for this condition to heal

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Totally depends on the cause of your GERD. Many cases of GERD are a result of a weak lower esophageal sphincter (LES) that doesn't close all the way, allowing stomach acid and contents to flow or reflux back into the esophagus. In these cases, medication masks the symptoms and reduces the stomach acid so that your esophagus is exposed to less acid and therefore is protected from erosions and scarring. Since GERD usually is caused by a weak LES, many people end up on acid reducing medications indefinitely. In these cases, your options are either take meds long term or have surgery to help the LES close as it should. That said, it goes back to what I originally said......depends on what's causing your GERD.

• Posted

oh ok mine is caused by stress doctor told me how can i heal this fast 😕 oh ok i understand i will have to take meds for life 😕

• Posted

If your doctor told you it's caused by stress, was that verified by an upper endoscopy? Or just a guess? Not sure why you interpreted my response as saying you have to take meds for life. That's surely not what I said. If you want an accurate answer to your question, it's best you ask your doctor who has (hopefully) adequately examined and diagnosed you as opposed to a public forum where nobody knows your unique and personal situation.

• Posted

sorry i got confused but i had a endoscopy 4 months ago the doctor told me i have reflux due to stress i told him i have OCD anxiety disorder thank you for your response i appreciate it i will ask my doctor any question i have

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.