For over 12 months I had been suffering from 'the usual ...

Posted , 6 users are following.

For over 12 months I had been suffering from 'the usual symptoms of diabeties' such as total exhaustion, an almost constant need to urinate, incredible thirst - at one time I was drinking 6 litres of water a day - and still thirsty. I bought an accucheck and when I tested my blood sugar level it was off the scale. That is more than 33mm/ol. By this stage, I could hardly see through my glasses and a vision check showed that my lens prescription had changed from -7.25 to -3.25.

Scared, confused and not helped at all by my local hospital in Walsall I was helped by my GP and a dietician at the surgery. I now take 2x850mg Metformin tabs a day.

My blood sugar levels have come down to 6.2 on a fasting test. Later in the day they are about 6.8 to 7.7 which is still a bit high. My vision is returning to normal and I can see again using my old specs. In terms of how I feel- well about 200% better than before the treatment started. I have energy to do things, and almost all of my symptoms of diabeties have gone.

In fact, I now realise how ill I was before treatment started. I've made a lot of big changes to my diet - loads of porridge, starchy foods and complex carbohydrates and am starting to understand more about me and this condition.

Quite a few diabetics I have spoken to don't take their diabeties seriously, but they should. My dad died at 59 with diabetic complications having lost a limb and most of his faculties on his way to an early grave.

Whilst diabeties is not easy to control because it requires so many changes to your diet and routine, those changes are something one has to do. I just wish someone would have spoken to me about the symptoms so that I knew what to expect.

I also think that telling people to get more exercise and so on ignores so many issues in society today. People in work tend to work long hours in sedentary jobs. Local sports facilities like swimming pools are virtually non existent and massively crowded, or else very expensive.

Walking the streets as a form of exercise is dangerous and so this in my opinion is one of the reasons why a lot of people become overweight and levels of type II diabeties are so high in this country. If government spent more of our taxes on making the streets safer and providing more free at source sports facilities such as gyms and pools I truly believe that they would spend less on treating conditions like this. Health is more than the prescription block in your GP's surgery.

[i:210b24b26d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:210b24b26d]

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, your story is much like mine although I was only experiencing symptoms for about a month.I was alerted to the possibility of diabetes by my optometrist when I went to her with rapidly deteriorating eyesight.My GP reacted very quickly as my fasting level was 26.

I also panicked since my sister died 3 years ago after not taking her medication at the age of 54.

I'm now able to drive again after 6 weeks and went through a short time when I could drive WITHOUT GLASSES which was quite a shock to mychildren who had never seem me without glasses.

However I'm now back to using the prescription glasses I obtained in April last year.

My fasting levels are between 4.1 and 5.1 which my diabetic nurse is happy with.

My advice.Listen to the professionals whose job it is to help you get to grips with this condition and DON'T PANIC.

• Posted

Very good advice. you need to follow what the docs orders are. And panicing will never get you far. It will only make things worse in my opinion.
  • Posted

Thanks for posting such positive info.  I've been diagnosed as having diabetes but have to have another blood test also urine to reconfirm. I tested at 15.5.  I've been reading everything I can to get an idea of what I'm living with.  My cholestrol is elevated also to 7.7 and under my foot pad area on both feet seems to feel strange as if something is sticking to the bottom of my footl. Neuropathy?  I'm a very positive person so not letting it get me down, but could you please tell me what starchy foods you eat?  Have you made many extreme changes to your diet? As a carer for my elderly mother, I don't go out much to get the exercise and know exactly what you mean there.  Thank goodness I'm not overweight. Would like to hear from you if you have a moment.
  • Posted

I have just been diagnosed with diabetis 2. My. Fasting blood has been 7 for a long time and now is 8 which makes me diabetis 2. I am scared as I also need to lose a couple of stone ,at least. If I am able to do this it might reverse.

is it wise to without food. ? I get trembly if I go without food for over 4 hours.

weight loss is needed but feel unwell if hungry. Is this normal? I expect the nurse will get in touch with me. What can I have for breakfast in an airport. Will be really grateful for any tips and advice.

• Posted

Hi Lesley.

You need an appointment with your practice's diabetic nurse asap.It's his/her job to advise and help you.

Going without food is not a good idea.

Try looking at the website Diabetes UK where you can find a lot of useful information.

• Posted

Thanks blodwin, she will help me,but I am going on holiday early Thursday,so just hoped for a couple of pointers before I go. kind of you to reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.