For people with disabilities, what can you do? What are your disabilities?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Looking at a photo of myself two years ago I was reminded what I have lost in the last couple of years.

I can no longer sit on a hard chair with no support.

I can not walk far and I need a rollator which is a wheeled walker.

I cannot stand for long so cannot cook for example. I was reminded of this when I tried to get our dinner a few nights ago and nearly started a fire lol.

My doctor has said I have degenerative spine caused by bulging discs, osteoporosis and arthritis

Now to detail what I can do and it is a lot.

I can read and write and view and enjoy family and friends.

I have a great husband so can interact with him.

Most of what I enjoy is derived from mental activity.

I am building up my walking with the rollator each afternoon. 

Sometimes I am better than other times and I manage some walking around inside without the rollator but not for long.

I am glad I am alive at this time in history with all the marvellous entertainment we have with television and the internet.

I write reviews of shows I watch and am very active on Facebook.

I am happy enough as I have grandchildren to love and watch grow.

I guess I am luckier than many others.

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Morning Kathleen.

We have all changed, but we're still here.  That's the main thing.

You have a lovely supportive family and understanding friends, many haven't.  (Thank goodness I have too).

Can't agree with "marvellous entertainment".  We look at less and less TV - can never find anything without violence, crime of all kinds!!  I don't even look at the news anymore - too too depressing (have you heard any GOOD news lately?)

Keep possitive!

Regards fr Constance

• Posted

TV not so much! We find ours elsewhere. 

I like reading up online and even jumping in to argue on Facebook.

I read and research. I play scrabble online.

i find plenty worth following.

I love that I am alive now with so much happening.

My mother could never have imagined this world. She died in 1978.

I can talk to people all over the world.

We can now stay in touch with people through photos and comments that we would have lost permanent contact with if not for Facebook.

For people who have lost their mobility now is the best time. 

• Posted

I only see one person on a daily basis and that is my husband. The rest are online. 

Family are not a constant only irregular visits. I have online contact.

Face to face contact may not be as usual as it once was.

We don't go out except on occasions. 

If you have a good companion it is not a problem not to go out. It saves money as well.

Twice a year we visit our grandchildren in Canberra.

• Posted

Have to just chip in - we get a lot of amazing documentaries as well as good dramas from a number of countries.  We don't have to watch violence or rubbish.  Although I do admit a weakness for those competitve shows - Landscape Artist of the Year, The Great British Baking Show... Pottery Throwdown... Sewing Bee, Project Runway....

• Posted

I remember the world of my mother and it was hard. She read and she loved the TV. 

The internet has changed our world so much. It has provided us with so much entertainment. Our viewing comes from there as well

If I was this limited without the modern technology I would be not so happy.

We give and receive support. Some friends I have never met are great friends who make my life worth living.

I offshoot onto something and research for myself. I understand more about world politics than I ever thought I would. History and modern issues fascinate me.

I also notice I evolve and move onto some new genre or issue. I learn a lot from others I interact with!

• Posted

When I was laid up for a few weeks with a broken leg I have to say that Facebook was my lifeline.  I don't think many people knew what had happened to me so I had very few visitors and as I was still working at the time the sudden isolation was horrible.  Actually the first months, dare I say first two years, of retirement were similarly horrible, but during much of that time I had undiagnosed PMR, and we also experienced what is now referred to as The Winter From Hell.  So I'm a big fan of the internet and social media!

• Posted

Yes, I think it must be a lifeline for many people who are housebound.

Weather and isolation must also be other causes if people being cut off from face to face contact.

About two years ago I sneezed and burst a disc and then sneezed again and burst another one. Now I sneeze and keep my mouth open and head tilted back.

That was when the sacroiliac was affected. I can keep it calm by sitting on a recliner with pillows under my legs. My husband's cousin had an operation on his bulging disc and was left with drop foot so not so not doing that.

Is your PMR under control now and how does that affect you?

• Posted

Oh my goodness, what a horrible experience for you.  Thank you, I am doing well.  I've manged to reduce my pred dose to 2 mg most days although I still take a little more about once a week.  I daren't reduce any more at the moment because I think things are balanced on a knife edge, but in terms of my mental capabilities I feel much more my old self - actually beat my menfolk at scrabble three times in a row after months of feeling I couldn't really think properly.  But I'm coming to understand that physically I'll never be back to my old self, I used to feel very young for my age but now I am my age, nearly seventy.  I guess for all of us it's hard to come to terms with the fact that youth will never come again.... 

• Posted

I play scrabble too. I am 72 but in my head I am 27 lol! 

One person I met online has become a very good friend. We have had her whole family visit several times. I am noticing there are many get togethers between people when they travel and are able to meet up with people they met online especially in groups like this.

Another lady I met through a support group asked to visit and she joined the other friends a few months ago.

I would never have imagined meeting people this way but it is happening.

When you support people through an operation and recovery they become very close,

My son has met both his partners online.

I hope your PMR continues to be managed well.

• Posted

I wouldn't even like youth (with all its problems) to come back again. I would be quite happy to be 72 again - just before PMR hit me!

• Posted

A lot seem to have PMR. How has it affected your life? I do not know much about it.
    • Posted

Diagnosed in 2012.  ESR 88 CRP 50+.  Immediate relief on 30 mg Pred (doctor said he wanted to "zap" it before it took hold.  It didn't!  Inflamatiom continued rising, in 2 or 3 months was up to 132/100+.  Docror had no idea what was happening.  Was hospitalised for 2 weeks.  Consultant put me up to 60mg (I was having shooting pains in my temple) however, GCA was not diagnosed.  Since then it has been a roller coaster ESR & CRP did what it wanted.  Was hospitalised twice more in the next 2 years.

Now, after 5 years I have stabilised.  My bloods are in the normal area (18/10).  I have tried several times to get below 5mg, but it doesn't stay there for long (last month I got down to 4 one day, 3 1/2 the next), but the pain is increasing again.😡

I have never been pain free since the day I started.  Unfortunately I have Polyarthritis, GORD, Osteoarthritis and high blood pressure as well as PMR, so the chances of my ever being pain free are remote.

I have a great husband and we do as much as possible.  We are both able to take life as it comes.  There are so many who are worse off!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.