For the new diagnosed with graves. It will be ok.....

Posted , 6 users are following.

When i was diagnosed with graves i was rather confused by what it meant and how long i was going to feel, for want of a better word, crap for.

14 months later its all done with, off medication and back to normal. it was a very simple, boring journey. After i started carbimazole started to feel better quickly, Yes i have put on unwanted weight but to be honest i did not try that hard to keep it off. Going in for the blood tests and appointments was a bit of an inconvenience at times but no big deal really and the hospital staff were always supportive.

i just wanted to reassure any newly diagnosed that i know you read, like i did all sorts of stories about side effects and people ending up in hospital. but that is not always the case, i hope you experiences of this are as dull and uneventful as mine. Yes i know it might come back but will cross that bridge if and when it happens.

Stay positive, don't panic and all the best

Kerry X

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i was diagnosed with it three months before and taking carbimazole10 mg three times. but now i have a test and it gave tsh level100 and t4.39 .so i am not taking any medication.and one more thing is that when i went gor blood test that time my black od is coming in very slow motion . what would be its reason.i am thinking that my blood is thick .is this happen to you also please reply

• Posted

Thanks Kerry. I had a thyrotoxic storm just over a year ago and was diagnosed with Graves. They think I have had Graves disease/ hyperthyroidism for quite a while but I had ignored all symptoms and put it down to a stressful job and possible menopause. I have also developed multi cystic nodules on my thyroid, about 5cm in diameter and quite noticeable. I was put on 40mg of Carbimazole initially and then a year of block and replace with 125mg of Levothyroxine along with the Carbimazole. I put on about a stone in weight during the process. Last month my endo decided to stop block and replace as I had been on it for a year. My antibodies are still high (over double what they should be) so the chance of a relapse is quite high but I am staying hopeful that it might not come back.

So far I feel good and by stopping the medication I have lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks! I am having a recurrence of some symptoms but I do know I might be over vigilant and may be imaging some of these! It could just be the hot weather or a few stresses at work. I am going to remain positive and hope that Graves doesn't flare up again - if I do my endo has said I need my thyroid removed.

If I compare how I felt a year ago, the difference is amazing. If you have a diagnosis of Graves, stay positive and know that things can improve. I have changed my diet with no gluten and caffeine and I am sure these have really helped too.

Clare

• Posted

how lovely to hear a positive story. I am not at the endocrinologist until next Friday, and have been scared owing to some of the horror stories you read. Thank you you have put my mind at rest .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.