For those new to takeing hrt,how is it working for you,and what are you taking?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Where is everyone? Anyway,was wondering how those new to taking vagifem,premarin etc are responding to treatment. Have your symptoms gotton better? What dont you like about the treatment? Do you plan on staying on the treatment? Have any of you gotton complete resolution of symptoms from treatment. Any info would be a learning experiance for those of us considering it. Thanks.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Was given premarin cream. Took a few months to fully recover for me as it was bad. Used coconut oil also. Tried estring briefly and got infection. Threw away. Since I'm afraid of cancer I haven't used the cream twice weekly. I also use dove soap per Dr. And it helped. Now I just use cream sparingly as needed.
    • Posted

Have you tryed premarin compounded to an ointment form as quite a few women cant use the cream version as I guess it contains alcohol.? ? Compounding pharmacies supposeably can do this.
    • Posted

Yes it does on outer area until it calms down. I'm thinking about identical hormones after the first of year. Then I can get a safer cream like you mentioned.
  • Posted

I had my first regular partner in September after my menopause 8 years ago . In December after 1st unprotected sex I got repeated infections - thrush twice , vaginosis twice , small boils & despite seeing my GP 3 times , hospital walk-in clinic twice & STD clinic got no referral to a gynaecologist . Peeing burned so I was whimpering . I now had diffusely swollen & purplish red right labia & groin . I had a week that wasOK over Xmas & New Year then got urinary symptoms - feeling there was a tennis ball in my bladder , frequent peeing , being unable to pee , small volume , waking me at night , urgency . I booked to see a gynaecologist t Portland Hospital , got 10mg Vagifrm which I have been using 5 days . Apart from urgency all previous conditions have already gone , but I had period pains continually for first 3 days . I am still taking the pessaries daily , but get period pains starting fter 28-30 hours . I'm not sure if the pain will continue when I am supposed to reduce to 2 a week maintenance dose .
  • Posted

Not taking anything now. Few years ago a gyn ordered Estrace cream. It really did not help. I went back for a check up, she actually ordered sex at least 2xwk.At that time the pain was not too bad. For the past 2 years the pain has been so bad, I have not had intercourse! It feels like my hubby has razors on his penis and is cutting me. Tried to go to the same gyn, I had an appt. Went in and her office said I did not have an appt, and that in fact I am not her pt, and have never been there. WTF? I'm going to see another gyn in the new city I live in. I don't have a sexual partner now, but I would like to, and I don't want to have to scream "stop, stop that hurts, omg, stopppppp" Not much encourgement for a new relationship.

• Posted

I hear ya,have been married a long time. My husband has low testosterone and i have vaginal atrophy. Whats sex? Kind of sad.
  • Posted

Hi Lee

Not posted on here for quite a while.  Why?  Because touch wood I am symptom free as long as I take Vagifem twice a week.

Been on Vagifem since Sept and can honestly say that I do not have any pain, discomfort, smell, stinging, urinary etc.  I can now have sex regularly and even instigate it.

Absolutely fantastic.  Added bonus is that I have far more energy, age spots have lessened on my hands, complexion is better even a few spots.  I have taken up Zumba and Yoga since New Year too .

When I first started using Vagifem I didn't think it was working and it certainly took a good few weeks to see real benefit.  My doctor and gynaecologist both said 12 weeks to see real improvement and they appear to be correct.

I am hoping to extend the number of days between the treatment soon and would like to get to 1 per week at some point.

I don't think I truely realised how old and dragged down I really felt with it all.

• Posted

Oh i am so happy for you,thats great!! When you first used it,was it painful to insert? Please keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.