For those of you who've had a Dermoid Cyst removed.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a 4x4cm dermoid cyst removed on the 21st November (10 weeks ago) . It took 4 incisions and 3 hours of surgery because they saved my ovary and said it was harder than they thought it would be.

Recovery wasn't too bad, although it has taken longer than they originally told me.

Here's the main problem I'm having:

When I wear a tampon, it's really sore on the inside of my bottom incision, not the outside.

I also get sore there if I sit up straight for too long.

For those of you who have had a dermoid cyst removed can I ask a couple of questions:

How long did it take for the bottom insicion to heal on the inside? (I'm assuming because they pull the bag/cyst out from that incision, it takes the longest to heal and mine was really brusied).

Is this just brusing or is there a chance I could have a bit of an infection?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm assuming you had it by key hole? X I had a laparotomy over a year ago to remove dermoids for inside my ovaries xx it took a good 6weeks for me to feel better 5months on I was still sore when I seen the consultant they said bruising and muscles knitting back together was the cause of my pain xx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, Katy. Yes, it was keyhole. That would make sense that I've got the same as it's still only been just over 2 months. I was thinking that it was probably normal, but they advised only to not wear tampons for the first period after the surgery. xx

• Posted

Hi there, I don't have any experience of this because i'm hoping to get on the waiting list on the 24th Feb so i'll follow this thread for any tips!

I have a 5cm dermoid on my right ovary, its been known since 2010 and it was 3cm back then. Skip forward to Sept 16 and i'm getting daily period pain, really low feelings at times with this dull horrid pulling/twisting feeling in my lower right quadrant. It may turn out not to be the cyst but I have to eliminate it as I dont want to carry on like this.

• Posted

Hi,

I recommend getting the dermoid removed. From what I've read, it won't go on it's own. Mine was only 4cm and it took a lot for them to save the ovary. So, I think it's better to get out when it's a bit smaller than some of them can get so there's more chance to save the ovary.

I didn't get any pain with mine, which the scanner was surprised about, but I do get bloating, so the doctor made me get lots of tests to check out the whole abdominam, including a scan, which was where they found mine. 

If you're in the UK, hopefully it won't take too long to get seen. It was 11 weeks from my first gynea appointment until my op.

Good luck! 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, I really hope that on the 24th Feb they take me seriously and get me on the waiting list, I hve 2  kids, 1 just 15 months old and I find it so hard at times to want to play with them due to discomfort or pain, today my 15 mo just crawled on me and must of pushed right on/near the cyst and man alive the pain, took my breath away.

​11 weeks sounds great, wish me luck!!!

• Posted

Good luck! It does sound like it's to do with the cyst so fingers crossed for you. If you do get on the list and have any questions about the surgery or recovery, feel free to ask here. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.