Forced medication changes.

Posted , 4 users are following.

****i recently started seeing a new doctor after my doctor of 20 years retired. i have a number of health issues, epilepsy, anxiety disorder, insomnia. i was put on alprazolam, keppra, and Wellbutrin over 20 years ago. my treatment plan was working great until my new doctor forced me off my medications. I've been in the hospital twice for the alprazolam withdrawals and seizures. is anyone aware of anything i can do to stay on my treatment plan other then just going from doctor to doctor trying to find one that is comfortable treating me? i usually don't post on these things but I'm at a point where i need advice and have no idea where to go or who to talk to. Any advice is greatly appreciated

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I don't know about the other medications but if you have been on Alprazolam for 20 years yoi should certainly try to stay off that, the only thing is that benzo withdrawal can be pure hell and should be done VERY slowly and very carefully and with a lot of help.

My advice is not to try and find another doctor to put you back on this, but rather one that helps you come off it and stay off it and give you alternatives that are not addictive.

One possible alternative might be Gabapentin, as this is used both for epilepsy and anxiety.

I hope you find some help soon!

• Edited

Same thing happened to me 2 years ago when my Dr. retired. I took Alprazolam for over 10 years at the time. Dr.prescribed for bad anxiety. First new doctor I went to said he would have to take me off of it as he did not believe in prescribing it,I have bad anxiety,he wanted to take me down a half of pill about every month. Well first of all it worked so I was very upset and that much just every month is way to fast. So I went to another Doctor she wanted to do the same. I than found a very nice doctor who was willing to work with me at my pace to wean down. I went from 2 mg a day to 1 mg. She was so patient. This took almost 2 years. Than she retired. Found another nice Dr. who was on the same page as her. After about 8 months..I now take 0.75 a day. plus she gives me a few extra a month in case of a panic attack. Main thing is keep looking for a patient doctor willing to listen to you. It's irresponsible for them to just cut you off. Never go cold turkey with a drug like that. Also open up about what's going on in your life. For the time being my weaning down is on hold because my doctor knows the problems going on in my life. Good luck. Hopefully you will find a good doctor who will at least wean you down at your own pace or maybe even let you stay on your med.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.