Forced Mirt withdrawal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

My shrink wanted me to come down from 15mg to 7.5mg of mirt to start a low dose prozac. The prozac is only at 4mg per day for the last two weeks but on Friday I dropped the mirt as instructed. I'm now on day 6 of the lower mirt dose and suffering aches and pains but mainly anxiety. I've been on mirt for a year and was wondering how long the anxiety should last for. I've been on and off mirt a few times in the past but only a month or two at a time and had no withdrawal then.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi staz, I too have recently been reducing from 15 to 7.5 of my mirtazepine with the hope of stabilising at 7.5 and have had a dreadful time unfortunately. It seems everyone is different but a lot are finding it hard. I'm at 3 weeks now on 7.5 and not sleeping at all, the anxiety is through the roof and work is impossible. It sounds like it can take a while to feel better, months for some, although you may not be the same:-) I'm at a loss as to if I'm actually going to feel better at this dose or if I should stop completely?

• Posted

I've just left a mesage with my shrink to tell him what I'm going through. To drop from 15 to 7.5mg overnight seemed a bit drastic but he said most patients cope with it. I've been climbing the walls today Jenny and another 3 weeks of this isn't something I could cope with.

• Posted

I don't think I'd drop it completely Jenny. How slow did you taper to 7.5mg?

• Posted

Unfortunately I find quartering the tablet difficult as its so little so I had to drop from 15 to 7.5, I tried swapping to the liquid but my doc would only give me 1 bottle which wasn't enough. I know I definitely won't make another 3 weeks, I've felt like this for 6 months now because of the swapping from amounts and then liquid and back. But I've stuck to the 7.5 tablet now for 3 weeks, work has been horrendous, I've read that it can last a long time. Apparently it totally depletes your serotonin levels. Have you heard of 5Htp?

• Posted

Also don't listen to him when he says most patients cope with it as it's absolute rubbish, the majority are also climbing the walls, doctors just want to brush it under the carpet so they don't have to do anything. This is known for being the hardest to get off. 5htp replenishes serotonin naturally, I've ordered some and will let you know if it helps when it arrives.

• Posted

I've got some Jenny but as I'm increasing an ssri I don't think I'll be able to take any as they contradict unfortunately.

• Posted

Hi Staz! I've been on Mirt for 9 weeks at 15mg up to 30mg about 4 1/2 weeks ago for anxiety and depression.I was also being weaned off of Paxil 20mg twice a day which I had been taking for 20 years.Overall I seem to be getting better but I also have IBS which causes pain so I'm on Gabapetin 400mg just starting to up it to 600mg(200mg 3 times a day from 2 times a day) for nerve blocking and Tramadol(50 mg  twice a day) for pain.I not sure if withdrawal from Paxil is the same as for Mirt.especiaaly since I took it for that length of time.Unfortunately each person is different,so I can't really say.I would be definately talk to your doc/psy and let them know all that's going on.God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

Thanks Bob. Please be careful with Gabapentin. I'm on it's more potent twin Pregabalin. Pregabalin stopped working for me after 10 weeks and caused my anxiety and depression to worsen. I've managed to get down to 57mg from 300mg a year ago and it's awful to come off of.

• Posted

Thank you for the warning.I unfortunately have to take it because my IBS or hemoroids cause a nerve right on the edge of my anus(sorry for getting so graphic,but I feel you need to give as much info as possible to get the correct advice) to as I put it "go straight into my brain and drives me crazy!".Now I know it doesn't go straight to my brain,but it does go thru my nervous system and causes some of my problem.They are using it as a nerve block/pain killer and so far it seems to be starting(using that term loosely) to get better.I also have other pain?anxiety related to my IBS so I'm hoping the Mirt/Gabapetin combo will ultimately help.God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

Day 9 of my reduction and anxiety still a problem. My shrink upped my quetiapine to 100mg to cover an sleep issues from 75mg but I had some 150mg tablets I'd never used. So mistakenly for the last 6 nights I've been taking 150mg and tonight after realising my mistake have to go back to 100mg and am very anxious about dropping 50mg in one go along with the mirt reduction problems I'm having.

• Posted

Day 10 of my reduction to 7.5mg and still feeling awful. Headdaches, anxiety and general fatigue. I can't go back to 15 mg as my shrink won't give me the script and told me the worst of the w/d's would be over in a week. Well 10 days of unrelenting pain and it's nowhere near finished with me. Anyone have any idea on how long recovery takes from a drop?

• Posted

Day 11 and my Pdoc has reinstated me at 15mg.
  • Posted

Hi Staz.Let us know how you are doing now that your back up to 15mg.If you need to stay there by all means do.It is better to feel better even you have to stay on a higher dosage.Let your mind and body tell you what works.Hang in there and God Bless You,Bob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.