Foreign body sensation in left eye

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’ve had a feeling that I have something in my eye for around 5 months now. It doesn't happen every day, but when it does its always in my left eye and it always starts acting up when i wake up after sleeping. My eye will be teary and will continue to tear up with every blink. I also feel like there is something poking my eye. It's very difficult to keep my eye open when this happens due to the irritation it feels. Also if I press my eye the wrong way I can trigger that feeling of something stuck in my eye and it will start to tear up. It will also be red and veiny and I don't know if this makes sense, but I feel more aware that my eye is in the socket. It's not swollen just feels bigger I guess in the way that you become more aware of a finger that is throbbing with pain.

It got so bad one night (admittedly after me rinsing it constantly with water trying to flush anything out) that I was in terrible pain whether I opened or closed my eye. I went to the ER and was told no objects or scratches on my eye, probably just conjunctivitis and was given antibiotics which unfortunately I never filled the prescription for.

The only relief I have is some numbing eye drops the doctor gave me. I also feel some relief when I hold my eyelids away from my eye when I blink if that makes any sense. What in the world could it be? I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I do remember being poked in the eye several times by my son.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Arrianne, you may have a tiny cyst or recurrent cysts on the flat edge of your eyelid. just behind the eyelash line. Look very closely in a magnifying mirror if possible. If you wear any sort or eye make up try to give it a break for a few months. Also get some artificial tears , also called hypromellose drops, from the chemist/pharmacy and use several times a day. You can also try dipping a cotton bud into vaseline once per day and very gently work it along those edges. if there is a cyst or cysts it will help to break them up.

If this continues you may have the start of dry eye syndrome which is becoming very common now that people are addicted to staring at computer screens and phones. We are forgetting to blink and the eyes are suffering.

If you think that applies to you try to give yourself a break from screens or at least cut down. Lots of rapid blinking will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.