Foreskin Retraction. (Picture included)

Posted , 8 users are following.

Male 18

No idea whether this is considered a problem or not but is it okay that my foreskin doesn't retract the whole way. It goes past my glans fine but not the whole way down the shaft.

I can masturbate perfectly fine but i'm worried it may turn into a problem during sex.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It looks slightly unusual, but I wouldn't consider it a problem.  If you're 18, then your penis may still be growing for another year or two btw, so it may look different after that, especially if you've only recently been able to retract.

• Posted

Looks fine to me. No reason to think intercourse would be at all problematic.
  • Posted

Looks fine. Everyone is different. As long as it doesn’t cause pain you have nothing to worry about. 
    • Posted

Well it would if I tried to pull it further, like the string (I've no idea what it's called) is going to snap.

• Posted

It's called the frenulum*, and if it's very short, then it's possible you might have "frenulum breve", but if you can retract that far, you're probably fine.

(* Technically, a frenulum is a type of structure, and you have one under your tongue, and another two inside your lips and gums.  If people just say "frenulum" though, they usually mean the penile frenulum. )

• Posted

The ('banjo'wink string is called the Frenulum. There is a condition called Frenulum Breve (short frenulum) which can cause damage during intercourse. It can make sex painful and even bloody! This requires a minor surgical procedure to rectify. However, it's normal in uncircumcised men for the frenulum to pull taut during erection and to cause the tip of the penis to bend slightly when the foreskin is pulled towards the body. Its purpose is probably to assist the foreskin to re-cover the glans to keep it protected, soft and sensitive. It's similar to the inside upper lip or underside of the tongue.

Your photo doesn't give us much idea of whether the frenulum you have is normal or unusually short. Maybe you could upload another picture? 

• Posted

Hope surgery doesn't need come into the equationlol

But here's a picture that hopefully does the job.

• Posted

That does look a little tight, but not something I'd seek treatment for.  There is a chance that you might tear it (it happened to me over 30 years ago), so if sex is painful for either of you, then be more gentle, and if you do injure it, you'll have to get checked out.  A torn frenulum doesn't usually need treatment, but you'd need to take a break from sex for maybe 2-3 weeks, then use condoms and lube for 2-3 weeks after that.

• Posted

Would rather avoid that then. Think manually trying to stretch/loosen it would work?
    • Posted

Maybe, but probably not.  The foreskin can be stretched, but I'm not sure it's possible to stretch the frenulum.  If you're 18, it will probably fix itself, and I'm not sure there's really a problem anyway.

• Posted

I think as long as when you have intercourse you ensure your partner is aroused and well lubricated, either naturally or with a product, that everything will be fine.
    • Posted

I'll just play the waiting game then. Cheers for the help mate!

• Posted

I'll just play the waiting game then. Cheers for the help mate!

• Posted

Mine's very similar and I never had any problem.

• Posted

Seems to just be a wait and see situation at this point. Doesn't seem to be that rare though when searching it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.