Forget Scotland with it's free prescriptions - N. Ireland is the place for PIP!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just read this in the NI PIP leaflet.

Seems that they have a more helpful way of dealing with those that have problems gaining the right award of PIP>

The Northern Ireland Executive has put in place some measures to support people who are currently receiving DLA and who are financially worse off after they have been assessed for PIP. If after their assessment, someone doesn’t qualify for PIP and lodges an appeal, we can provide a supplementary payment, equal to their DLA payment, until their appeal is heard and a decision is made. We can provide a supplementary payment for one year if someone qualifies for PIP but at a reduced rate, and their weekly loss is more than £10. This supplementary payment will be equal to 75% of the difference in benefit. For example, if the difference is £20 they will receive £15.

I'm extremely surprised that there hasn't been mass migration. 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Well that has been kept quiet - and all we all know why!  They don't want mass migration!

• Posted

that's it then.

done and dusted.

that's my hols for this year sorted.love it when a plan comes together.

bon voyage! and toodle pip everyone.

• Posted

It wouldn't surprise me if that's available in the uk, but no one knows about it because the DWP deliberatly keep it quiet.

• Posted

Hi les59996,

This actually sounds workable in N.I. They probably get through the dla-pip claims quicker, they "can" supply a supplementary payment, not "do" supply. Then if after a decision you get pip but a lower rate than the dla you were getting, they will subsidise you for 12 months.

That means no expensive tribunals, probably a forest less paperwork and it takes the sting out of the whole experience.

Incedently, I just collected my next mobility vehicle, if within the next 0-36 months I go from hrm on dla, down to lrm on pip I not only lose my car but also the £700 advance payment, I was unaware of that!!!

• Posted

From memory don't you get a pro rata payment back of the AP based on the fraction of months left to run over 36?

The way you have looked at the logic behind what NI does, it certainly makes a lot of sense.

But then since when does the English version of any benefit make sense?

I have to be really honest here. I obtained that info because my daughter's mother in law lives in NI and also claimed DLA for years. She failed to get any award for PIP but was very happy that they paid her the equivalent of her lost DLA until she had a Tribunal hearing. The Tribunal awarded her a slightly better award than her DLA so she saw no loss and an improved PIP award.

I couldn't believe this when I heard so challenged her (thinking she had 'one too many' as the Irish do!! - sorry no disrespect intended). She sent me the NI link to their version of PIP and the conversion

process.

So there we are - I am now trying to establish if I can get dual nationallity as somewhere in my familly I come from a long line of Irish travellers/circus folk.

• Posted

Amazing, some United Kingdom we are!!
  • Posted

Am looking into it now les smile   You also get free prescriptions,  free dentists and a bus pass at 60 in NI.   The same in Scotland and Wales.  It's only us English who get sweet FA,   Londoners though do get a free London pass at 60 on the tubes and buses.  x

• Posted

Just noticed something else. In England you had to be 65 by the 8th April 2013 to stay on DLA instead of being forced to move to PIP.  

In NI if you were 65 on or before the 20th June 2016 you too stay on DLA and are not moved over to PIP.

What a difference those extra 38 months would make.

• Posted

It would have made a diffference of less than a month with me.  
    • Posted

I would have been 68 and 3 months as at the 20/6/16

And as such I would not be having the problems I am having with enforced debts etc and would be £300 a week better off!!

• Posted

That's so wrong Les.  I am 62 now and will have to wait at least another 3 years for my pension.  I can't get a job because of my age and some disability and am trying to survive on £95 a week private pensions plus £21 a week DLA which I expect to lose soon.  

On the plus side at least I don't have to sign on and I do own my own small flat.  I am living partially off my savings and I just hope they last long enough or I am stuffed.   It's not fair and it's not right.  x

• Posted

Hi les/hypercat,

Have they also changed the rules with Pension Credit? I was helped by cab to claim PC when I was 61, at that time "anyone" over 60 could claim, as they moved the goalposts for retirement for women as well as men I suppose that has changed as well.

Anyone not getting PC that are entitled to it are missing out big time as it is a passport to other things too.

• Posted

I believe that the minimum current age is nearly 64 before you can claim PC.

Eventually it will be 68.

And you are quite right, there are 10's of thousands of people who are not claiming PC that would on application get an award.

"Figures from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) indicate that up to £2.8bn in pension credit is not being taken up, while the total amount of benefits not being claimed by pensioners in pension credit, housing, council tax and disability benefits is £5.5bn".

That £5.5bn is returned to the Treasury and then spent on other things. It can never be paid out as there are strict time limits for making a claim with extremely short back dating periods.

For PC in particular, you were entitled at one time to have the award back dated for a year, now it is calculated in weeks!

The government does not make a point of telling those that they know who are entitled to PC to put a claim in. They are quite happy with the fact that it is for the claimant to be proactive instead to search out the information, complete & submit a claim and obtain for them all of the evidence that they require.

• Posted

Mike is quite right in saying PC is a passport to other benefits. that is exactly why it's correct terminology is "passport benefit". because it's your passport to now AND future benefits if the preparation of it is done correctly. and you do your homework.

• Posted

Could you go a little further please and explain what you mean by "if the preparation of it is done correctly. and you do your homework" ?

PC is only a passporting benefit for as long as you get the award which I realised far to late to do anything about it.

PC is certainly not a benefit that once claimed will always be there.It can be removed at any time by the Pension Service.

And as from October this year those who are under 75 and have an 'Assessed Income Period' will find that that protection disappears and you will have to comply with and be under all of the rules and regulations that currently make up Income Support!

Effectively 'Pension Credit' will become 'Income Support for those of retirement age'.

• Posted

Yes they have.  I used to work in the DWP contact centre when the retirement age was 60 for women and 65 for men.  We told men over 60 that they were entitled to claim pension credits unti they got their pension at 65.  With the increase of womens state pension age this rule has changed for men.  x
    • Posted

Hi if I can claim pension credits then I will be nearly 64.  I looked on the Govt site and it say nothing about this at all and they have always linked PC with the same date as the pension age.  This is a typical example of them 'hiding'  benefits to save money!   Proactive is the right word.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.