Forgetting to breathe?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have had anxiety and panic attacks in the past but lately I have had it in check naturally. However, this past few weeks I have started forgetting to breathe or at least that's what it feels like. It will happen randomly and my heart will pound and I will gasp for air and then I'm fine. I don't think I'm anxious but I do have panic attack history. Its been happening frequently at least once a day..

Is it just anxiety? I have had my heart and everything checked out in the past year and its was functioning great at the time.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

I had this symptom. It was so scary i use to cry, couldn't sleep, & sunk into depression.

It feels as though your heart has stopped beating for a minute. I'd gasp for air like I was dieing. I was rushed to the hospital & had blood tests, ekgs, & chest xrays & saw a cardiologist. But nothing was found but sinus arrhythmia which is very normal.

So the reality is, your brain is being tricked into thinking your dieing. It's like a panic attack it's hard to explain lol. That involuntary gasp for air is your brains defense mechanism to you "dieing". The way i got rid of it was i realized it was anxiety & i ignored it. I stopped the self checks & focused my mind on something else.

This was by far the most terrifying anxiety symptom lol. But, since I don't know your age, gender, or family history, I don't know 100% that's it's anxiety. See a doc first & if they say it's nothing, ignore it

• Posted

I've had this.. it happens to me less now than before, but still happens. Like once a week or something. It's just anxiety, it's tricking you. I just call it a minor panic attack. If doctors say you're fine, then you're fine.

• Posted

I also get this from time to time and it leaves you out of breath and flustered.  I get it in my sleep sometimes and wake up ghasping for air as if I hadn't breathed for ages.  

I am am convinced it is anxiety related,  it normally goes when your mind is on other things in my experience.  

Best wishes

• Edited

It’s just anxiety! 

This happened to me and it was so horrible I thought I was going to stop breathing or that I had some crazy Iillness even went to the Er and had a x ray on my lungs lol.

It’s called conscious breathing it’s your anxiety you’re focusing on it to hard and I know you can’t help it. Every time it happens tell yourself “it’s just my anxiety, I can take a deep breath and fill my lungs so I have no problems with my lungs” every time, tell yourself this and it will gradually get better. Even if you feel like it’s not working just keep telling your self that. Your brain needs to be trained back into it. I read so many BS articles of people saying they had it for a long time and i thought I’d have it for ever but it only lasts as long as you allow yourself to let it overcome you. Message me if you need any help I know how scary it can be! 

• Posted

Its crazy because til this day I still have the same problem that you've went through. I had it since 2019 while I was finishing college classes and when the semester was over. Its hard and annoying sometimes and I do need help with this situation I still go through. I think it will really help with my anxiety.

• Posted

Hello! It's 1.30 in the morning and I'm really scared as soon as I want to go to sleep it seems as tho I forget to breathe and I gasp. I suffer from anxiety, but I find it hard to tell myself that I am not dieing.

• Posted

I really like this meditation for Panic on you tube called meditation to stop a panic attack now.  It emphasizes breathing technique to help you gain control.  🌸🌸🌸

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.