Forgot pred!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Last night I forgot to take my pred.  Slept well.  After breakfast thought "I don't feel any worse than usual I'll just wait till tonight and take pred as usual".

Did a little housework then went for a 3/4 hour walk in the local Spa grounds.  Had a coffee and headed home.  All OK.  As I approached our apartment building I felt a little strange.  Struggled to the lift and nearly collapsed.  Managed to alert my husband and he helped me in.  I've been on the recliner ever since!!  You'd think, after five years I'd learn not to overdo it, wouldn't you?

So, to all newbies - if you forget your pred tread carefully until you catch up with your normal dose.  😏😏

1 like, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

if I were you, I would have taken pred as soon as you remembered it, in the morning, then get back to your normal evening schedule.
    • Posted

I KNOW, but I felt so good I thought I'd give my body a rest.😏😀  I won't do it again!

• Posted

I have just changed taking my pred from after breakfast to around 4am after a biscuit(dont like yoghurts) is this enough!, My neck and shoulders have been hurting now for a while. The difference was noticable straight away, great to wake up with no stiffness. I have been using the dsns method and down to 3 - 2 1/2.  at a time so can you good people tell me how i do 1 1/2 and a 1/2 when i get there as the 1's dont hav a cutting line do i presume just to waste some everytime!

• Posted

I'm at 2.5 and was thinking that when I get to 1.5 I'd cut the tablets but do alternative days with 2 for a couple of weeks but I'd be interested to know how others do this. 

• Posted

When I had to drop to 1/2s I cut the Is with the point of a very sharp knife.  There is some waste but so what?😀

• Posted

A glass of milk might be better - but if you don't have any stomach discomfort it doesn't really matter.

You can get a cutting device from the chemist - and it doesn't matter if you get a slightly uneven pair of halves, it will even out. And anyway - all you want to be taking is "less than the last dose". 

• Posted

I tried to reply earlier but my iPad was playing up and though I typed it was feint and disappeared. I don't know why that happens. Lose lots of replies that way. Aaaaaaaargh. I'm sorry to hear you had such a rotten time. I guess we all think we are fine at times but PMR rules. I hope you are now feeling much better. It's a hard lesson. 

• Posted

It's because the cursor isn't registered in some way - I do notice when it is pale and fiddle with it. It is a nuisance if you don't notice and sometimes it takes a few deletes and restarts to get it "dark"!!!!

• Posted

A couple of months ago, I forgot to take my 15mg (at the time) pred dose simply because I was also on very strong antibiotics at the time that didn't mix with pred, so I was having to juggle times of taking meds.

Oh my, did I feel the effect! By the afternoon I had a massive headache, shivers, severe fatigue. I took the pred early evening when I realised what was causing it, but it took until the next day before I felt ok.

I now make a note of what I've taken and when whenever I have to go outside of my normal routine.

• Posted

Hi Suzanne, nice to hear from you again.  How are you getting on now?  See you on FB occasionally.  You seem to be enjoying your art world.
    • Posted

Hi Constance, yes my art keeps me going.

There's just so much going on at the moment, heart problem (probably minor but being investigated), high BP and possibly diabetes (Will get results tomorrow), apart from a current quite persistent chest infection. It's really a domino effect, which I link to being on a high dose of pred for so long. Other than that, I'm fine! 😁

• Posted

Hi Susanne, although it feels high 15mg is on the lower end of the spectrum so don't feel too bad. At the end of the day it's what keeps pain away and you sound as if you have plenty of other things to worry about while your body heals. Thank God for art! 

• Posted

Hi Celia, I have had several flares over the past 2.5 years and have been up to between 60-40mg pred many times and then begun the slow taper down until the next flare. I have GCA and it's only recently that I have been able to get down to 15mg. My immune system was severely compromised because of the high doses of pred and so I was open to chest infections which meant hospital stays where they would up the pred again. The many chest infections led to a lung condition called bronchiecstasis. During one of my hospital stays, I also managed to pick up a very nasty bacterial infection which lives permanently in my lungs now, called pseudomonas. Having been very inactive during these last couple of years has led to weight gain, no doubt resulting in high blood pressure which has damaged my left ventricle.

That's why I call it the domino effect!

• Posted

Um - is there any evidence that it is that way round: that the infections caused the bronchiectasis? It is far more likely that the bronchiectasis causes the infections. It is in this household!
    • Posted

Eileen, according to my pulmonary consultant, and reading up on bronchiecstasis, it is often caused by repeated chest infections, and especially if you have a weakened immune system which makes your lungs more susceptible to tissue damage.

Of course, once you have bronchiecstasis, you are even more at risk of infections.

• Posted

Good name for what's been happening to you! You've obviously been through the mill. The name of your lung condition sounds like a dinosaur. ..I do hope some of all this starts to unravel in a good way - getting down to 15mg is a bit of a triumph. I would so love a magic wand!

• Posted

It does, doesn't It! - bronchiecstasis.

I'm actually lower than 15mg pred now. I originally referred to 15 on this thread when talking about when I forgot to take my dose. I'm now at 10.5mg pred and doing ok, so fingers crossed that I can keep tapering down. As the song goes..."always look on the bright side of life". 😁

• Posted

That is so brilliant. Just the feel that you're reclaiming part of your body! 

• Posted

My sister has the condition and the pseudomonas. Like you she is prone to infection and uses a nebuliser morning and night. She has also had surgery and treatment for 2 different cancers but is amazing. She was a health professional and her GP and consultant leave her to decide when she needs a top up antibiotic. It must be very difficult to have PMR on top of all that you have. I hope the reduction in steroids goes smoothly.
    • Posted

Thank you Silver.

Your sister certainly has enough to cope with.

I have GCA, hence the high doses of pred. (I did have PMR before GCA)

The trouble with having pseudomonas as well means that you need different antibiotics when it is active, which can have some nasty side effects, so my GP always starts me with standard antibiotics and if they don't work, a sputum sample is tested and I may then move on to the very potent antibiotics. Luckily, my GP is very aware that treatment needs to start quickly, so she always squeezes me in if I need to see her.

• Posted

GCA on top of everything else is even more difficult. It sounds like you have a good GP. I'm aware that it needs to happen quickly. My sister has an antibiotic prescribed to take with her when she goes on holiday. She goes abroad x2 a year for a reasonable spell and the sun seems to agree with her. She is taking the chance when she is able and can get insurance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.