Forgotten how bad the pain was

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am 10 days post op on my 2nd TKR my last one being 5 yrs ago which thankfully was a complete success but I have to say I had forgotten just how wiped out I feel ,so I am looking for some support I had open heart surgery 14 months ago and honestly don't think it was as painful having my sternum cracked open as at is having a knee replaced, I am so tired and giving my hubby a bit of a hard time, I am icing and relying on pain med's but cannot exercise at present or should I be ,would be grateful for some feedback yes I have done it before but had forgotten how much it hurt

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I didn't exercise alot at first just small bends and trying to straighten. I had to stop for about 5 days altogether as I was getting really bad muscle spasms. Try do little bit but don't panic. Did you get any pain in your tibia just under the knee? Mine is just awful at the moment and I was doing so well ??

• Posted

Hi Pam,

That good ole post-op pain brings back unpleasant memories, but they will subside sooner than later.  I'm having my 2nd tkr in 3 weeks and will soon be in the same boat as you.  Will most likely give my hubby a hard time too, but hubbies are tough and will be there no matter what...as we will if ever needed.  You know what you have to do to get through this, so you will do it...you're tough, as your surgical history proves that! Time to think positive, the best is yet to come.

Keep in touch, we're all here for you.

Many blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Thanks for the reassurance Cherry ,forgot to mention in my post I decided to have a spinal tap as opposed to a general anaesthetic and it was amazing ,good luck with your upcoming tkr Cherry stay in touch
  • Posted

Hi I am 23 weeks I had knee cap replacement and my knee feels so tight I can bend mostly no problem. I have trouble lifting my leg as my glup muscles still arent working properly im still walking with a stick especially for work my knee also keeps giving way and can feel it grinding when walking can honestly say it's getting me down now I can't see it getting any better

• Posted

As for the wiped out feeling I can totally relate. I'm 2.5 weeks post op from a partial replacement. Today I went to mother in law's and did a short little walk. I'm now totally exhausted!!

Pain will improve, keep taking the painkillers even if not in pain, take them regularly before pain even kicks in. I've regularly, and just try and do a few exercises when you can.

It will get better, still very early days. Take care. X

• Posted

2 major surgeries in close to a year is a load for anyone. You were barely over one and got hit with a second which will take most of another year. Plus, and its always hard for anyone to accept, you are 5 years older. Increase you water intake and make sure your diet is heavy on protein. Your family will have to back off because you are going to need time. Have patience with yourself. Dont set such lofty goals for yourself. No 2 Tkr's are the same. I've had 5 complete rehab on the same leg and they have all been different in May ways but the one common denominator, I've recovered.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.