Forteo?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm half way through the two year protocol using Forteo daily. Would love to hear others (good or bad) results after finishing treatment.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Alice

I am 62 and I found out at the age of 44 that I had low bone density (probably result of early menopause)This developed into OP over the next few years. At this stage I was lucky enough to be offered a place on a Forteo study at Guys Hospital. This consisted of 6 months of injections in conjunction with various blood tests and a PET scan - so actually a thorough MOT! I had no side effects. A scan was done prior to starting the study, after 6 months then after a further 6 months, then a year later. The 6 month scan which was done directly after completion of the forteo was disappointing - my numbers had gone down!!! It was explained to me that the action of forteo was to build bone which then has to remineralise or fill up which takes time! - that my following scan would show good results - which indeed it did. My spine numbers went from -2.8 to -2.1........I was put on biphosphonates (fosamax) directly after the end of the forteo course as you must have an anti resorpative to maintain gains. My following scan showed another gain - spinal T score now-1.8. This was 5 years ago and my BMD has dipped a bit since then but not returned to previous score. I chose to come off fosamax last year as I considered 4.5 years long enough and actually wish I had come off it earlier, having taken my health more into my own hands and researched medications. I am now considering taking Evista which is also an anti resorpative but not as strong and, if you do develop any side effects, these will stop as soon as you stop taking the drug. I am also taking the the appropriate and good quality supplements, exercising, doing pilates and receiving occasional acupuncture treatments

As Juno has advised, do consider joining the NOF Inspire Forum - I've been a member for 18 months and have found the information invaluable. As well as people with bone density issues , ther are health care professionals on the forum who have been very helpful with their advice. I started osteogenic training on a biodensity machine alongside power plate 9 months ago which I hope will produce results. (Can't even begin to explain what this is about -if interested you could check out on the NOF Forum) You will find masses of info on the Forum re Forteo, other meds and supplementary treatments. If your GP hasn't done this already, it's really important to find out if there are any possible secondary causes for your OP eg. Parathyroid problems, VitD deficiency.

Sorry to be so long winded - best of luck with your bones

Carol

• Posted

Thx so much for the NOP Inspire forum. I joined this morning after reading your post but have not had much time to look around yet. Great to finally have people with which to discuss osteo, treatments etc. I appreciate your kind reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.