Forum concerns.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have concerns re the number of people listing their symptoms and asking forumites what they think.   Cancer is a life and death business and should not be treated lightly.   The very first port of call should be always be your Doctor, he/she is much better placed to give a diagnosis.   If you have concerns, please, see your Doctor.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tony,

I agree with your comment with reference to cancer queries posted by people asking for our diagnosis, your gp is always your first port of call.

These days they are more alert to certain cancers and will get you an appointment quickly if there's any concern. It's possible some posters are frightened of a diagnosis of cancer but the quicker the better as far as treatment is concerned.

Mike.

• Posted

This forum is for people who want advice from people who have had similar experiences. There is nothing wrong with listening to kind words of others, that many find comforting.

I don't believe for one minute, that people come here for medical advice and eschew the medical system. Often doctors are very bad at keeping patients updated, I have had to take medical staff to taks in writing numerous times over their failures and I am the world's laziest person, so you have to serially bad to get me to put pen to paper. The sad thing is, I appear not to be in the minority, having spokesn with many PALS (hospital patient liaison services)  depts, their staff seem to be very much on the side of the patient, knowing how often clinical staff let down patients.

So, I would encourage people to post here and seek answers they are not getting from the medical profession. My gastro sent off a blood sample for a hereditary gene cancer because he thought I might have liver cancer and didn't even think it was worth bothering to tell me. It was only after a chance conversation with someone else who was having blood tests for cancer, that alerted me to the fact that this is what had happened. I had to write to the hospital to get the results, because he didn't deem it important enough to tell me.

• Posted

I know for me personally i am looking for people who have had similar experiences as I know what the doctor's are thinking but certain procedures sound intimidating and for me to stay calm knowing other people's personal experiences with the symptoms helps me especially when they scheduled other tests and a Port prior to talking to the dr from results, it means I will hear more when I see the doctor that day, but sometimes the preparing mentally of what it may be can make it easier for some people, at least when it comes to me

• Posted

Hi Tony,

Most times people (myself and others) respond to these types of posts and tell people that no one on this site can diagnose an illness and that they need to get to their doctor.

I do think that some people suffer from health anxiety, and are too frightened to visit a doctor and perhaps find out that what's ailing them is what they are afraid of. 

All too often, the medical profession treats the disease, not the person.  Patients aren't given any respect and are left without information, comfort or practical support.  I think that this site offers that.

Next time someone posts "could this be cancer?" You could just let them know that you understand their fear but that they need to get to their doctor.  

Best to you!  

• Posted

My post has nothing to do with listening to kind words, it is as I stated in my post, asking for a diagnosis which is done quite frequently.   I'll stand by my post, this is not the place to seek a diagnosis, your Doctor is far better placed than anyone on this or any other forum.   Professional or amateur, who is best placed.   

• Posted

Of course, doctors are always right. Like my doctor's surgery that wanted to put me on aspirin after my stroke. Only I didn't have an ischaemic (blood clot) stroke, I had a brain haemorrhage (burst artery/bleed on the brain) partly caused by my thin blood due to a lack of platelets.

Using aspirin to thin the blood of someone who has low platelets and has already had a bleed on the brain, is akin to giving someone a death sentence, because you are pushing them towards another bleed and the mortality rate is almost 50%.

So, you decide, should I have listened to the professionals or to myself, an amateur. Being a pro doesn't necessarily make you better, it just means you get paid for it.

• Posted

Your absolutely right RHGB, your Doc was wrong so I would suggest you completely forget about Doctors in the future, they simply don't have a clue.   Forumites on the other hand are always right and far better placed to diagnose and answer queries, we should all go to the expert forumites and put those crappy old Doctors out of business.   I'm thinking of setting up a lemonade and medical advice stand at my front door, I'm an amateur so obviously far better placed to hand out advice.   I have access to Dr Google and even better the people onthis forum if ever I'm stumped.

• Posted

Good luck in your start up business, I hope things go well for you. My advice is though, don't start it at your door, move it to the pavement.

There is no charge for this free advice.

• Posted

Hi,

Hold on a moment. This post was started pointing out how frivolous some people use the site and now we have a comedy double act.

GPs are human, computers do make mistakes, and medical files go missing. I have had terrible treatment by my own gp, but I won't be popping into my local if I have to have a biopsy or whatever.

Mike.

• Posted

Nothing wrong with humour mate, particularly when you suffer from things like cancer, OA, PsA.   Sometimes it even allows you to come to grips with your own mortality, however briefly!

I can't setup a medical advice/lemonade stand on the pavement though, I need council approval and have to pay a fee, then in order to recoup my expenses I'd need to charge a fee.   If I was charging a fee I'd probably need better digs and a certificate or something, perhaps a butcher's certificate, I can get one of them easy enough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.