FOSAMAX

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am new here and lost, my bone density results are not good comparing the one 2 years ago,according to my doctor. She put me on Fosamax and i am scared to take it after reading all the bad reviews, i started menopause at 38 and I am 47 now, PLEASE ANY ADVICE

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I was hesitant to take it, too. After consulting all my doctors, they recommended that I take it. So I did. I took it for about a year and wondered why I always felt sore, like I just worked out. I even went to a physical therapist because I couldn' t raise my right arm over my head. I realized it was the Fosamax. Once I stopped taking it, I didn't have muscle aches anymore. I'm currently just taking calcium & Vitamin D supplements and trying to do more weight bearing exercises.  I will have a bone density scan this year, so I will find out if what I'm currently doing is enough. I'm hoping all the best for you.

• Posted

thank you so much for your answer, i am lost
  • Posted

You are young to start a bone medication.  But if your t-score is really bad you could try this:

take the medication for two years, provided you don't get bad side effects.  Before you start, make sure your calcium and vitamin D status is good as the medication won't be effective if they aren't.  Also do everything you can to improve your bone density the natural way.  This will give you a leg up when you discontinue the drug after two, maximum three years.  What you want is to avoid having to take other medications for your bones as they all have some side effects, sometimes quite severe ones.  The thing about bisphosphonates is they do the most good in the first couple of years.  If you take them for longer, eventually your new bone will be made on top of an old matrix, and this is where the problems with things like atypical femur fractures become a possibility.  

I am now 71.  When I was diagnosed with low bone mass (admittedly this is not osteoporosis, but commonly called osteopenia) I was able in one year, while still taking enough prednisone to affect calcium metabolism, to improve my t-score from -2 to -1.6.  I was not on any medication although it was recommended because of several risk factors, including age, and having to take prednisone.

What is your t-score?  I think this, plus consideration whether you've sustained any so-called "fragility" fractures, should be the deciding points whether to take medication or not.

If you google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey you will find my account of what I did, and what I still do, this is a lifetime project!

• Posted

Thank you so much, I am scared, and don’t know what to do, the reviews of medications are so scared. I will go back to you and tell you my numbers, don’t know yet

thanks

• Posted

I was appalled when I was told I had osteoporosis - my doctor didn't have the numbers and misinterpreted the report.  When I finally found out I only had osteopenia I felt myself getting lighter and lighter all that day!  But by then I'd spent two months learning what to do to tackle an osteoporosis diagnosis, and I carried on anyway.  Things were bound to get worse if I didn't, and I was very relieved when the follow up DXA scan after one year was so positive.  I'm not eligible for another for at least three years, but I plan to keep on looking after my bones for the rest of my life.  I do wish we were all given more advice about this when we are younger.  They tell us not to smoke, and to avoid too many sweets, but no one really emphasizes how important our bones are.

But the main lesson I learned was it's never too late, although doctors can be amazingly pessimistic, and there is a lot we can to to help ourselves.  It really is one ailment we can take control of.  

Do keep in touch.  All the best.

• Posted

I just found out I have osteoporosis.  I am 46 went into early menopause at 39. I just had my first Dexa scan and it showed I have osteoporosis.  Going to my dr. At the end off week to talk about treatment and my scores.  I’m devastated.  I just started taking Calcium and Vitamin D plus a multivitamin and Vit D 1000u daily.  I started excercising on the treadmill today.  I do a lot of working at work I am a RN.   Any in sight would be appreciated.  I’m scared 
    • Posted

Same here Lisa, I started menopause at 38, but i decided afyer talking to some people that are on the same boat that I will not that the Foxamax, I will wait until next year to see my results for the next Dexa. Right now I just increase the calcium and vitamin D doses and exercise everyday

God Bless

• Posted

Don't overdo the calcium supplementation.  Take some Vitamin K2 which will help your body actually use the calcium in the bones.

• Posted

Hello

what do u mean overdo?

I take what is on the instructions, once a day

• Posted

Your body can only absorb about 400-500 mg at  a time, so if your supplement is 1000 as many seem to be, it's too much for a single dose.  Too much calcium can lead to calcium deposits in blood vessels and organs.  You don't want calcification of your arteries or kidney stones, for example, so it's bests to get at least half your daily calcium from food, and take two smaller doses of any supplements rather than a single large one.  

• Posted

Taking Vitamin K2 also helps to minimize or eliminate any problems with calcium depositing outside the bones. 
    • Posted

I just talked to the nurse today and I am so worry about all of this, so lost and I appreciate your help. The nurse basically told me that if i don’t listen to the doctor it is better find someone else to handle this. I cried so much after i turned off the phone. She said my number is still osteopenia but it is worst than 2 years ago. I have the puctue on my phone with the results but i dont think I can aatach here to show you
    • Posted

Oh that is no way to treat a patient.  She should have paid attention to your concerns rather than being so dismissive.  You are an adult, you deserve respect, not to be spoken to as though are a naughty child.  Have you got any support system, a good friend or family member, who can perhaps go with you to your next appointment?  If your t-score is still below 2.5 you have osteopenia, and you are in a place where you can do something to help yourself.  Did you google my account?  Google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey.  There are some readings listed at the end including an article describing a study done a few years ago to find out if nutrition and exercise, without medication, would work.  Spoiler alert - they did!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.