Found Out I Have a Torn Meniscus

Posted , 3 users are following.

[color=#222222]A month ago (April 6), I was at work when one of my kids (I'm a preschool teacher) basically charged into me and made me stumble backwards about 12ft with them in my arms before falling. I had immediate pain, but I could still walk and everything...but I decided to go to urgent care anyway. They took x-rays, no bone damage, said to followup with orthopedist.[/color]When I saw the orthopedist, he initially thought that it was an MCL sprain, so he put me in a brace, ordered PT and said come back in 4-6 weeks. Meanwhile, my knee didn't stop hurting, and I couldn't work...so I called again and got in to see the ortho a second time. This time he immediately ordered an MRI. Saw him today and he came in and said that the MRI showed a meniscus tear and that I would need surgery.He said there are 2 surgical options, but he won't know which he'll do until he's in there (both are arthroscopic procedures)...and one sounds like nbd, and the other sounds like it would really suck. The one that sounds like nbd he said is what happens 95% of the time which is just that they shave the torn part off. The second one, the 5% chance involves an actual repair and that would keep me off my feet and out of work for 6 weeks...and I've already been out for 4. He also said that the shaving is better short-term, but the repair is better long-term, but he can't say which he'll do now because he needs to see the tissue and exactly what's going on before he decides.Anyone else been in this boat? He said that for now I'm cleared to go back to work, part time (my choice -- he asked if I thought I could go back or not) and do pretty much whatever I want, no restrictions, until we can schedule the surgery. (It has to be approved by the workers comp board). This makes me super happy since I've been dying to work again, but it also makes me super nervous because what if I make the tear worse? He doesn't seem worried that that'll happen, and if I decide that work is too much I can always go back and get a note to excuse me...but am I right or wrong to be worried about making the tear worse?He also had me in a brace but he said that I don't need to be wearing it anymore because he didn't think it was one that would do much good (I agree) -- but should I be in a brace of sorts?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You might ask the Donjoy company on that.  If the doc's not sure (but he should be), Donjoy will tell you if they have a brace for meniscus pain.  Personally, I wouldn't waste the money...get the op done ASAP.  Back in my 50's, I had four knee "events" resulting in four scopes...one meniscus each knee, one femoral condyle each knee.  I's rough playing hockey for decades...

In every case, I had the op on a Friday, spent the weekend icing and elevating and went back to work on Monday with a cane plus a portable AirCast CryoCuff so the knee would be iced all day.  I was fine in a week.  Done.  Shaved the tear back both times...and yes, they cannot tell what they'll do until they go in.  That's the deal.

• Posted

Doctor just said brace wouldn't really help so I could ditch it.

And I am getting the surgery done ASAP, but this is a worker's comp case, so it has to be approved by them first. Otherwise it would've been scheduled today.

• Posted

Oh, and sorry for having no paragraphs. It showed me that they were there when I copied and pasted, but I see now that there aren't sad I really do apologize!!

• Posted

Try to baby knee if you are in pain . If he says it won't get worse , well he should know. I also had the surgery way before knee replacement in 2011. I was back at work in a week as well. Hopefully they will just have to shave it. The work comp person should know the urgency of this surgery. Hope all goes well.

• Posted

I'm trying my best, but I'm a preschool teacher, so there's very little babying that can be done.

The only reason I'm a bit skeptical/scared about it getting worse even though he said it's fine is that he treated a coworker of mine, who actually fired him for messing her knee up more.

As for worker's comp: The claim, as of this morning hadn't even been put in yet!! I can see it not being done on Monday since my appointment was late afternoon...but it's Wednesday! I just want this done and over with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.