Found out something interesting regarding antacids (PPIs)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello friends...I have been an active member in this forum...I found out something interesting regarding antacids ( proton pump inhibitors)

So, for a week or so because i had late night dinner and then immediately had to go to sleep and also with bad sleeping habits I got acid reflux...So i decided to take antacids for a week or so.....and started taking it in the morning with empty stomach..

Now, as i go to my study room and start studying i couldn't focus and felt tired with muscle aches....I didn't had any other issues, last antacids i took, when initially i got diagnosed with IBS and then stopped it....I had same feeling that time but thought that might be due to IBS and some vitamin deficiencies that time....But this time neither my vitamins levels were low nor i had IBS attack...So i thought why am I feeling like this...Then as i reviewed what did i do differently this week and  i realized i stated taking omeprazole...and i also realized for 1-1/2 days i forgot to take medicine and that half day i felt normal.....then i went to web and searched for the new researches done on this drug...And to my surprise  they have found out that many PPIs can cause muscle aches and feeling of tiredness...this is the post marketing survey of phase 4 trials....

Some of you might have experience of this and might be knowing about this alsobiggrin but this was new for me....I am writing this article because PPIs are one the most common prescribed and used over the counter medicines in the world....

I am not telling this side effect can be experienced by everyone but as IBS and gastritis usually co-exist and many people with IBS are also on PPIs, i just want to convey that if you are feeling muscle aches, tiredness and lil bit sluggish in your brain function and if you are on PPIs then try to reconsider your options, there are other class of antacids like zantac and many more are available in the market..... 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes, I have to agree, they made me drowsy whenI was taking them, they have quite a lot of side-effects if you read the leaflet that comes with them. I rebelled after being in them for quite a few years and came off them ‘cold turkey’ only to find you are not supposed to do it that way.  I had rebound acid for a while and rode through the storm by using ant-acids that dissolve on your tongue, soda water and/or bicarbonate of soda and cutting out all goods that provoke acid reflux.  Also, my bones seem stronger than they were - I have Coeliac disease and get DEXA scans to look at the bone density, as I have the starting of osteoporosis (at the osteopenia stage). Also, did you know that as PPI’s reduce the amount of stomach acid, it can you more susceptible to stomach bugs, as the acid in the stomach helps kill them off? 
    • Posted

sorry you had so much trouble.....Yeah they increase our chance of sytomach bugs and also in long run can cause vitamin b12 deficiency.....side effects are more than effectscheesygrin Hope you are keeping up well now.
    • Posted

I juggle a lot of health issues, and not having to continue to take PPI’s now is a bonus. You’re right about vitamin B12 deficiency. Take care.
  • Posted

Hi, apparently there has been many serious issue with regarding the use of PPIs, they are not a drug to be taken long term, as short as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.