Found something that is working for me so wanted to share.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I wanted to thank the person that suggested Kefir. I have tried drinking that not not only do I like the taste but it has 12 live active probiotic cultures that we need. No sugar added and 110 calories. I drink it several times a day but read it is best to drink it two hours before bedtime.

Another treatment that has helped is a cream, Gynatrof. It is a vaginal moisturizer that contains hyaluronic acid and Vit E. You insert it into the vagina before bedtime. It is manufactured in Italy and the doctors in Canada say very positive things . I buy it on Amazon.

Please give these two things a try. I have suffered so much with our" female issues" and this has been the only relief for a longer period of time. We are in this together.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda

is there a brand of Kefir that you would recommend? Are you in the US.? Do you have VA or AV or just dryness? How is it helping you?

Thank you for sharing.

Wendy

• Posted

Yes, I am in the United States. The brand of Kefir that I bought is Lifeway Unflavored.

I had ovarian cancer so had a hysterectomy also breast cancer , double mastectomy, chemo and took Femara for five years. Needless to say anything with estrogen was taboo, also I'm 71, post menopausal and a history of UTIs. I've had three treatments of Mona Lisa Touch which did help but still had burning and pain/flare ups.

I have tried almost everything that I have read about that would give me some relief. Had resorted to Lidocaine and cold pack for temp. relief.

That is why I wanted to share the info about Kefir and Gynatrof. It may not help everyone but it doesn't contain anything harmful and you don't need a prescription and it's not expensive.

What if it helps, just what if.

If I can help ONE woman from this pain and flareups to have a better quality of life then I will feel I have accomplished something.

• Posted

Hi Linda

Oh my goodness dear girl you have been through much! What age were you diagnosed with the ovarian cancer and breast cancer? Were you on any estrogen before you were diagnosed?

Im nervous about VAGIFEM but its all that helps to have quality of life. there is a compound cream with less estrogen i believe Estriol. I will ask my Gyn about that one. my sister had breast cancer so i am watched carefully from my breast surgeon.....ugh! I am in the US as well. I am 67 as of next week!, I will try the Kefir...thank you.

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy, I was 65 when I was diagnosed with both cancers. The silver lining was I qualified for Medicare and also had supplemental insurance. No I was not taking any HRT because of menopause. No rhyme or reason for me to have two cancers and at the same time. Also, I have never smoked.

My sister had breast cancer as well but we had different kinds. She had ductual, which is where you feel a lump. Mine was lobular, also, known as the sneaky cancer. Since your sister has had cancer, please make yourself knowledge about the different kinds of breast cancer especially lobular.

The Kefir is more for my history with UTIs. And after my hysterectomy, I have Vaginal Atrophy so Urinal Tract infections are common. The Kefir has helped with that.

Hope this info helps you.

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda.....thank you so much for sharing. Sounds like the cancers were both caught early..... was the breast cancer found by Mammogram? Did you get yearly mammograms? How did doctors find the ovarian cancer as that is so hard to detect?

I get yearly mammograms and 6 months after i get a sonogram of both breasts.

Before the VAGIFEM I was having alot of UTI's ..........unfortunately i have recently just had 2 the past 2 months.......thought i was done with them.....guess not.

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

I am curious why you are given a sonogram 6 months later.

Last year I had the usual mammogram then was called in for a 3D one for the radiologist to look at while I waited for his assessment.

This year I was called in again after the mammogram for a 3D version, then was sent in for an ultrasound then waited for the radiologist's assessment. I was given a vague answer about it being difficult to view the tissue.

Is a sonogram similar to an ultrasound? Do you know why you are having them?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Beverly

Im sorry it is an ultrasound not sonogram. Because my sister had breast cancer and I have very dense fibrosistic breasts ( not large just very dense ). I am considered higher risk also as I needed Vagifem they are keeping close watch. He knows how stressed i am after losing my sister....complications from chemo.........I have had 2 biopsies in lifetime. My mom and grandmother passed from colon cancer and lost my dad to lymphoma.

I know how stressful it is to get called back after Mammograms.......ugh!

Wendy

• Posted

I suffer terribly with av and urinary symptoms. makes me so miserable. Burning and pain. ill try the kefir, I cant order stuff from internet. I'm not confident with it.

• Posted

I have found probiotics help too a good probiotic it has to be, plus eating probiotic yoghurts every day as well.

THERE's not much that really helps it keeps coming back

• Posted

Linda, that was probably me. I'm like the National Kefir Spokeswoman! Glad it helped you.

• Posted

I had hoped that coconut oil was my answer to the awful pain of AV but it gradually returned in spite of the oil, so I'll now gladly take your advice to try the kefir and hyaluronic acid and vitamin e. Thankyou for passing it on. Will return and let you know how it works for me.

• Posted

Diana, I have been drinking kefir for a few years now for digestion issues (IBS).

It has worked wonders for me while taking probiotics in capsule form doesn't. Again just shows how different we are.

Sadly the kefir isn't solving any of my AV or LS issues, but if it does help anyone that's great. It's very affordable and sold in a lot of supermarkets. The fruit flavored kefir have sugar in them so I drink mostly plain with a splash of a fruit one if I feel like something a bit tastier. You can also use a splash of juice or mix in some cinnamon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.