Four bowel movements a day

Posted , 5 users are following.

For past couple of weeks, i have been drinking alot of water (3 litres in the morning and 3 litres in the evening) and i have also uped my fiber intake. I drink about 3 litres during one hour. My schedule is as follows;

a) When i wake up in the morning, i have a normal bowel movement.

b) Shortly after, i take 3 litres of water and a fruit. I then immediately have another bowel movement that is relatively normal and sometimes mushy.

c) Within a few minutes say 30 minutes, i have another one which is a bit mushy as well. 

d) I then have another one later in the evening but this is a normal round bowel movement.

I am not sure if this is something i should be worried about. I do not have any abdominal pain, nor blood and no other symptoms apart from going 4 times in a day. I had a colonoscopy in march and a stool test which all came back normal.

Should i be worried?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Four bowel movements a day doesn’t sound excessive.  Everyone empties their bowel a different number of times a day.  This varies accoding to the individual.  My brother went about four times and his were usually on the soft side.  I go once a day if I am lucky and mine are often hard.   Do not worry sonce your tests were normal.
  • Posted

Four bowel movements is fine but you are drinking far too much water
  • Posted

As your tests came back normal I don't think you have anything to cause concern as everyone's bms are different  plus you are not in pain or having cramps.  I do wonder if you are drinking too much water.  I read somewhere that  although we are advised to drink a lot of water there is only so much fluid the bowel can absorb.A lot is trial and error as we are all different.I found that a lot of cereal type fibre was no good for me and the gastroenterologist told me to only eat three pieces of fruit a day.  I seem to find vegetables are my best source of fibre. I only eat sour dough bread, very few potatoes if any an as I find bread and potatoes make me very gassy!

• Posted

Hey shak....everyone is different, so their bodies are....well, I think you should drink atleast 2-3 liters of water a day...As anything in excess is toxic to our body...well if you feel thirsty and drinking this much amount of water then it is ok but if you are not thirsty and pushing these much amount is something to be considered....well, this might be a cause for your stool frequeny and consistency...Just try reducing water for a week and observe.biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.