Four month old on the job, acute trapezius injury

Posted , 1 user is following.

While attempting to stand up straight in a semi-enclosed metal frame, I contacted a solid metal beam with sharp edges on my right shoulder. I was slightly bent forward in this motion so that the actual contact point was on my upper trap, between my neck and rotator cuff and about 2-3 in. down from the top of my shoulder. I would say the force of injury received to be the same as if a person was standing behind me holding a 10-15 lb. sledgehammer(with sharp edges) above my shoulder and letting it fall with just gravity to impact the spot.

This happened 4 months ago and still feels the same, painful, burning muscles in neck mostly, but also in lower trap area.

This is now a workman's comp claim. I've seen a doctor and had x-rays. X-rays show no bone injuries or major muscle tears. Have not done MRI yet. The doctor referred me to Phys-therapy 3 times a week for 4 weeks. I've had three sessions(5-10mins of masage and 5-10 mins of light strength motions) so far with the only improvement noticed by the therapist is a slight increase in the range of motion of my arm.  The pain has only subsided a little.

At this point I'm just wondering what to expect for recovery and time. Should I push the doctor to do the MRI sooner? 

Cliff R.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.