Four Months

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to post how I have been doing and share...

Anyway it's been little over 4 months since my procedure. I had my cervix, fallopian tubes, and uterus removed. I forced myself to walk less than 24 hours after surgery because the Dr. explained to me the quicker I walk my recovery will be a lot faster. That is what i did and yes it was painful but everyday I would walk a little longer and farther and I truly believe it did help with my recovery. Overall my experience having a hysterectomy was not a bad experience. I am glad I did it because the incontenense, hard time breathing and looking like I was pregnant wasn't fun at all. I can suggest to any of you women that have time to plan before your surgery excercise to help with your recovery and most important stay positive and get out of bed. I have 4 kids 15,12,9, and 16 months. No time to feel sorry for myself...

STAY POSITIVE AND YOU WILL BE OK!

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Wish I would have known this.  They told me complete rest and no exercising.  Did you have it laproscopic or the old way like I did?  I look like I have a muffin top over the scar, I usually run 5 miles every morning and walk 2 miles after.  I was in shape and so frustrated with how it looks.  This Wednesday makes 4 wks.  I have been having bladder issues after the surgery.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 2.5 weeks post op. (I'll be 48 this year) I had everything removed and had it done laparoscopically. Before my op I did 15+ classes of cardio/strength training/ swimming and gym 6 days a week. I was out walking around the day after my op. I came home 2 days later and the first week I was in a bit of pain, but with each day I'm getting stronger. I was in the gym 10 days post op - It's more of a social thing for me! All I did (before anyone condems me) was the pelvic floor exercises the physio at the hospital gave me and I did arm exercises using 1kg weights - all seated so I wasn't engaging my core! I walk every day and I'm been back doing normal household chores. I am aware that during the first 3 weeks that if I overdo it, scar tissue will form, but for me I've not been. I think my recovery is down to the fact I was fit and healthy before my op and I've kept pretty much active after. I'm careful with what I eat (I find it helpful to log it). I have a personal trainer who in a few weeks will start some rehab exercises to ease me back into things. I've actually lost weight since my op - which for me was a massive thing.

I haven't gone onto HRT I'm playing it by ear... I have a positive outlook on it all. I had read some 'horror stories' about other women's experiences of having to stay bed ridden and not lifting a kettle for 3 weeks! I really got myself down about having a hysterectomy, but for me (so far!) it's the best thing I ever did. I'm back in my pre op size clothes. I was told that I'd have to go and buy maternity clothes as I wouldn't be able to wear 'my clothes' for months!

I hope that if there is anyone waiting for a hysterectomy and us nervous or anxious, you've read my story and can feel a little more positive and hopeful.

• Posted

Unfortunately I have a fear of anesthesia, so I did the old method via spinal block.  I am so miserable with the muffin top over the large scar, did NOT have it before the surgery.  I work out with a personal trainer usually every week.  Unfortuately right before the hysterectomy I had a biopsy and DNC so missed some time for that then 4 weeks so far for this surgery.  I am THANKFUL the results were only pre-cancerous and not cancerous, but I have my 20th Anniversary celebration in Vegas end of August that I had purchased some new clothes for that I want to fit in - I know not important but I had worked so hard.  I'm 51 and I am up and out of the house 3:45am daily for the 5mile run and 2 mile walk 7 days a week and at the trainers on Thursdays.  

I know I am thankful it was not cancerous.  Now I have to deal with the mental depression that this is brought on.  

• Posted

Oh no... I also had a fear of general anaesthetic. I'm always so very ill afterwards...(I also can't have morphine, codeine or any opiates because they also make me so ill too. And just because of this I almost didn't have my op. My anaesthetist was absolutely brilliant. I was given an anti sickness patch about 4 hours before surgery. When i went down she gave me a spinal block, this I was told would act as pain relief. I had a general anaesthetic too. I woke up in recovery, woowsy and sleepy. I wasn't sick didn't feel nauseous and was back in my room a few hours later. I have had residual back ache from the spinal block, but I was told this is normal. Some days I have an achey back and some days I don't. What I do have is numbness and a feeling of pins and needles on my inner right thigh. I've been told this could be due to nerve damage, or disturbance of nerves. I've also been told this could be temporary or permanent. I must admit I've had 3 caesareans and the scar from that and surrounding area has always been numb.

• Posted

I have the same feeling near the scar - the  skin above and below.  I also have that feeling and can't feel when I have to go pee.  This is killing me as well as I can't stop going every 15-30min!  Did NOT have this before.

• Posted

I had to self catheterise for about a week after my op, because the surgeon had to remove scar tissue from when I'd had my caesareans that had formed on my bladder, which caused a very large haematoma which was causing pressure on my bladder causing it not to fully empty. I'm now fighting a water infection. ??

• Posted

I hope to find something out at 4:45pm today.  Was to see my doctor last Thurs - she went into labor 2 weeks early.  So now have to see male doctor - hate explaining things to a man - lol!
    • Posted

Hi Lisa,

Not sure if this will help get yourself some scar tape and start wearing a girldle for after hysterectomy (belly fit). Also when you are not wearing a girdle wear a abdomen belt. It will help you...

• Posted

How does it help?  Do you have to do this permanently or ?  Sorry I sound stupid.
  • Posted

Hi there!

Glad to hear from you and to learn that you're doing so well!  Keep it up! xx

• Posted

just click on the envelope below my icon to send a private message! xx
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing I am due to have my operation next month nad I have been trying to get a little fitter before too and my thoughts are to be up and getting about as quickly as possible.  It is great to hear that it has aided your recovery 🙂

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.