Four months after surgery, vaginal hysterectomy, sacrospinous fixation, posterior and anterior repai

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. Well good news following surgery on May 4th! 

I saw my consultant yesterday and she reassured me that my my three prolapse surgeries, anterior, posterior and uterus are all fine. The stitches from the repairs, the vaginal hysterectomy and sacrospinous fixation have dissolved and the lumps and bumps are normal scaring, which do take a long time to settle. 

I had my list of questions, which she answered clearly and with additional advice. 

I am in a bit of pain internally, it will heal, but does take a long time. 

Sex is painful, she assured me that sexual activity can be painful for a long time, but my vaginal capacity is adequate!! I'm sure I'm just so nervous I'm tensing  up. 😳

I can start playing badminton, step classes and even horse riding again, obviously I'll take it easy, not go mad and start all activities next week!

Continue with pelvic floor exercises, she did an internal and asked me to cough and squeeze, and said I was doing them correctly. Nothing too fancy, like you're holding tight to stop a wee, and holding in a fart! 

I've also been having pressure in my bottom, I wondered if I had piles! Again she said this is normal, lots and lots of healing going on. She couldn't see anything externally but did say even if I had them no one would touch that, following the surgery I've had, for at least six to nine months. 

I questioned lifting, gardening and know I can't do the heavy work I used to do; but that's fine. I can get others to lift the compost bags, heavy pots etc. 

My main reason for ultimately opting for surgery was stress incontinence, I am still getting a few leaks but the test will be when I return to exercise. She did offer medication, but I think that's more for if there's an uncontrollable urge. 

I was worried about the bulge feeling at the very front of the anterior wall. This is my urethra and I'm possibly more aware of it because the other lumps have gone. She's prescribed Vagifem, Estradiol vaginal tablets, twice a week. 

She explained that the anterior and posterior repair will not necessarily cure the stress incontinence but until these are secure and healed she cannot address this. I have another appointment in six months, we can then see how everything is doing. I was very pleased that she's offered me this follow up. (I'm in the UK and it's all on the NHS). 

So, despite my anxieties I was reassured that so far all is healing well. The whole process will take a long time, I had major surgery and a huge package. My recovery from the actual surgery, and any real pain was so good that I suppose I didn't anticipate the time it takes to fully heal and be able to see the real benefits. 

I hope that's been helpful, I hope I continue to heal and don't have to report any set backs. I may need further work, for my bladder in the future, but for now I must focus on this next stage of my recovery. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Good this far down the track then. I thought a sacrospinous fixation suture was permanent and doesn't dissolve. I sure wouldn't ever bound around a badminton court after all those major surgeries. I only had anterior repair including mesh for the stress incontinence part and my Surgeon said NO running ever again! Time will tell if your obviously very weak pelvic floor can hold with that level of excercises. 

• Posted

Ah, maybe the sutures for the sacrospinous fixation are permanent, those for the other repairs have, according to my consultant, dissolved. 

I was very fit prior to surgery, and am following my surgeons advice with regards to exercise.  I'm religiously doing the  exercises and was told my pelvic floor is strong. 

I will have to wait and see ....

• Posted

Pleased to hear you are doing so well. I assumed the fixation was permanent too so I will need to look into that. Take it easy don't do too much. X 

• Posted

I have been so very careful over the last four months and will return to activities with great care. I don't want to ruin what has, so far, been successful surgery. 😃

• Posted

I'm 99.9% sure sacrospinous fixation in permanent. Also after 2yrs of following this site since my surgery & going by my own top private Urogynae, that our pelvic floors will never be really strong again, as they were prior to prolapses. And we can never return to lots of the physical activities we did prior. For those that did, they've prolapsed again really soon. The prolapse surgery helps put things back up relatively where they should be but any surgery further weakens an area and no surgery strengthens muscles. We have to not put any further strain back on those muscles ever, otherwise more prolapse is inevitable. I wonder how many of her surgeons have prolapsed again. I SO would not expect to bound around a badminton court & not expect damage. 2yrs on here has indicated that most cases take a whole year to recover to what will now be their "normal". 

• Posted

I do remember my consultant saying the "deep" stitches would take 4 months to dissolve so perhaps you are correct & that is the fixation stitch. I will check it out with her but I'm sure she knows what she's doing 😉. Good luck with your continued recovery. X

• Posted

Sacrospinous fixation - "Supporting the vaginal vault and strengthening the vaginal wall. The stitch around the ligament helps to hold up the vagina and reduce your prolapse. The stitch will dissolve over some months, but in that time it will be replaced by your own scar tissue and as a result hold your vagina in place". 

I've been googling and have found loads about the stitches, this is just one piece of information, issued to patients. 

I'm certainly 'notadoctor' either and am just trying to understand and clarify what I've been told. 

Thank you for your well wishes. 😃

• Posted

Thanks for that Sheila. I think I'd rather have my own scar tissue than a permanent "foreign" stitch.  As you were fit before surgery I'm sure this will help. I'm not sporty I'm afraid but I have done yoga/Pilates so I hope that will help. X

• Posted

Please be careful about the horse riding! I also have a horse . He had retired from being ridden so I could not ride him anyway but I can't imagine being able to and I had my surgery before you at the end of November. Even the simple tasks like poo picking the field and carrying bales of hay are still a struggle. Take care and don't try to do too much 

• Posted

Hello, how are you doing? I had sacrospinus ligament fixation, enterocele and rectocele repair. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since my surgery. I to am looking forward to returning to normal activities and hope you can share your recovery and return to activities.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.