Four months post op ankle fusion. When will I truly walk??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dr. just told me I don't need PT-  just gradually wean myself off this boot into a small ace bandage.  He said he doesn't need to see me for another four months  Problem is my pain level.  I can't just sit down with my leg hanging  for too long because it hurts 

Walking with the small ace bandage even in the house for 20 minutes is tough.  When will I ever truly Walk???

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am also 4 months post fusion. I over did it today. I have no pain in the joint. I have pain in the soft tissue on the back side of my ankle (either side of the achilles fendon). I walk with a horrible limp and use a cane usually, but today I was in the yard without it. Now I think I'll be back to the crutches for a few days. Ive only been walking without crutches for 1 week.

What kind of pain are you having? Where is it? And when yoi say hanging, is your foot resting on the floor?

Oh, and I dont use an ace bandage. I have a thin compression sock (open toe) and I use a thicker ace-type ankle brace I just pull on as well. I have never used my boot much because I find it too umcomfortable on my whole body, imcluding where im hurting today. Im starting to wonder if I have tendon Damage. I know I ended up with abnormally severe nerve damage in my foot. So much so, I havent had a cast sinve 3 weeks post-op due to pain and burning.

• Posted

Structurally the doctor said the hardware and the bones are great.  I told him about the burning and he said  it's probably neuropathy 

I have been on gabapentin for years because of my fibromyalgia and I have neuropathy from the knees down.  This is my second fusion.  I had one last July but  I lost my balance with my scooter and my weight went down on my bad foot and two screws came out    I am 60 years old and I can handle pain  however this foot is the worst!    I only take the pain pills when I have to  which is sometimes twice a day now    Right now  I am sitting and  I  have not been  elevating my foot for about five minutes now  so it is hurting more so.  I guess the pain would be in my soft tissues?  It throbs and hurts.   I think I may request going to pain management through my HMO. 

• Posted

That sounds horrible! I had that happen on ny scooter once but i was lucky. Im teally started to worry i hurt something more seriously than I realize. I guess I'm gonna call the doctor now. I wont keep having revisions if it fails, I will find someone willing to amputate. Im 38 and would ratger get my life back on track.

The swelling you are still having aoinds really troublesome.

• Posted

Also, did you know immediately you moved the screws? And how long into your recovery did the accident happen? And how quickly did you gey yoir revision?
  • Posted

I'm four moths post op too. Been walking with crutches. For 4 weeks. Now. Have physio every week but is only for 20max each time. I over did the walking without aids last week and paid for it dearly. Pain and swelling unbearable. Even had to cut physio short because of the pain. Told to start using the crutch with 75%weight barring. Also using a compression sock. Back for physio today and managed much more even tho the pain is still very bad. Been told to 90% weight bare now. My pain is all around the heel and over the top of my foot. Plus still getting burning in my toesat times. Physio has no concerns and had told me that everything I'm getting is normal. Some people get more pain than others. This isn't easy is it. It's going to be a long long haul. 😔 😔. Sx

• Posted

Wow.  I am sorry for your pain also but it is kind of comforting to know that the physical therapist thinks your foot is normal!  My  doc said  that the hardware and the bones  looked good  on the x-ray.   He said I don't need therapy just juggle between the boot and this compression sock with an ace bandage on it    He doesn't want  to see  me for another four months and by then I should just be walking with the ace bandage.  I never had a crutch.  Once in that boot I was given a cane and now I go without the cane  unless  it's a irregular surface.  There is an expression that  "time heals all wounds"    I sure hope it does  in our case! 

• Posted

Great to get told you dont need physio. I cant even walk without shuffleing because of the pain, but have got better as time as gone on. Just seems to be taking such a long time for me. I askmysef the very same question. But we shall get there, just taking too long for my liking sad  sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.