Four months post TKR and still difficult

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had a TKR on my left knee on May 7.  My surgeon said that everything is fine.  I completed my allotted post surgery physical therapy and they were able to get my range of motion to their target of 120 degrees.  I have been going to a gym for about 6 weeks and am exercising under the guidance of a physical trainer that has worked with knee replacements clients in the past.

I still have trouble sleeping and have difficulty walking immediately after sitting.  I am not taking pain medication other than Ibuprofen immediately following exercise.  When is this going to get better?  It is very frustrating and I'm very discouraged.  Are others having the same problems as I am?  Any suggestions 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You are doing great...

It is hard with the sleeping....I found mindfulness and full lung breathing (as done in yoga) helpful. I think the body can hold a lot of trauma in it post surgery...

You need to be really patient.

Improvements happen for ages... I am 18 months post op and there are still improvement happening with respect to the strength of my leg.

Decide how you feel more decisively at the one year mark, not before. And even then, things still continue to improve!

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name/my name. Then if you copy and paste you can get to the relevant page of my artist's blog. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement experience, right from before the surgery right to the one year mark..may be worth a skim through. It has a lot of useful suggestions and information. Hopefully it might be useful to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.