Four weeks out with a lot of swelling

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 4 weeks out post knee replacement and I also have lymphadema in the same leg so I have a lot more swelling. I already met all my goals but bending walking and standing. As soon as I stand on my knee I?t swells up like a basketball and hurts really bad. I feel really depressed at times cause I can’t stand too much and walk any distance. Will I?t ever get better.  I keep up with my stretches but as soon as get thru I?t swells up again.  I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what did you do to help. Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm 8 weeks post op now and what I've started doing is starting a journal to write down what I've been doing. I've found the more I'm stood up and walking around the more swelling I get which causes pain and poor mobility. It sounds like you need to rest it more. Rather than doing weight bearing exercises concentrate on bending it whilst sat down or when you are in bed, do knee slides. Keep the knee elevated enough so it's above the heart and ice it. I've just purchased a cooling system that you can wrap around your knee to keep it cool continuously, but I'm still waiting for it to be delivered so haven't tried it yet. I'll let you know if it keeps the swelling at bay X 

• Posted

Thank you for your comments. I’ve been trying to do that more while I’m sitting or elavating my knee. I just don’t have a lot of patience I want to get up and move but my knee tells me right quick oh no your not doing that. I’m going to keep I‎t up tho 
  • Posted

What support are you using to reduce weight on knee?

Are you on anti inflammatories?

It will get better...

Are you resting it much?

Are you in UK?

It is very early days, what were you told about the timing of recovery and rehabilitation?

• Posted

I’m in pt right now and have met my goals except bending. Currently I’m at about 100 in bending. I can’t use antiflammorties cause I also have chrohns disease which I’m on remicade. I’m resting a lot cause once I start walking or standing I‎t swells so badly so I do the best I can. I’m in us.  I knew I‎t was going to be difficult before surgery but not this bad 
    • Posted

I don't think anyone knows quite what they are getting into! This forumn is good though, with lots of experiences to hand. We are all different in our experiences butv reading others can be useful,

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. It has a lot of useful suggestions and information. Hopefully it might be useful to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.