Fourth day following TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Well what can I say that hasn't already! Came out the surgery feeling it hadn't been as bad as the picture I had built up in my own mind! Day following surgery was able to do all my excercises and was also signed of by o/t as I had no problem dressing, sitting on the toilet, getting in the shower etc, Great I thought! Then day two, I couldn't even lift my leg! Exercise seemed impossible and my knee was three times the size of the other, physio assured me that was fairly normal and to keep on trying to get through the exercises, taking all the pain relief they had to offer and using loads of ice I finally managed day three exercises, but physio said I can't be discharged until I can get at least 80/85 bend, I'm only getting 65/70 with a push. So they decided to put me on a bend machine, designed for day 5 patients post op, I was very apprehensive about this, anyway the young lad assured it be be fine and once it gets going my leg bend will improve daily, he said I could use the machine as often as I felt able, indicating twice a day for an hour or two, the machine does work very slowly.

So he strapped me into the contraption and off he went leaving me to manage alone, he never returned. After almost the hour I managed to get a nurse to get me out, I had had enough! My leg was agony and I could barely walk. Day four and I'm still in hospital but feel I have taken a step backwards following the kinetic machine, and I don't know when I'll get the bend close to 70 again, right now I'm lucky to get 40/45, has this happened to anyone else so soon after surgery?

Thanks for taking the one to read this.

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I am in the UK, had my TKR privately. Had to put on the long socks also had some sleeve over my leg which inflated and deflected. It was horrible as it caused so much fibration and therefore pain in my leg. I only used it 1 1/2 nights as just too much pain, I refused to use it after that. I used the socks some in the day, but only for a short time at night as heat causes pain. I had enough of that.

I was also sent home with codine , but it made me sick when I took it in hospital. So I never used them.

Good healing

• Posted

Hi Clive I'm taking co codamol not to bad on them actually but was also given morphine and anti inflammatory which I stopped as soon as I got home as they were making me so I'll only taking 6 tablets a day now sooner I'm off them the better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.