Fourth time lucky, Effexor XR

Posted , 2 users are following.

Around six weeks ago i developed a weird burning sensation in my lower back. On a scale of 1 to 10 its around 3 or 4, low level but constant. Ive undergone blood tests for cancer markers, had a pooh test for the same and everything come back negative. Having had a terrible year in lockdown and another health scare before christmas i lost my friend at work of 40 years old to covid. Having the pain in my back was the final straw and on the phone to doctor i broke down and i assume had a nervous breakdown. I was first put on Sertraline, wow, that was horrendous and after ten days wanted to jump out the window. I was then put on Prozac, that made me extremely irritated and couldnt sit still. I then went on to venfaxaline 35mg so i could get used to it and after two weeks went to 75mg quick release. Took in in the evening as it made me so tired in the morning and then by about 1.00 pm next day would wear off making me feel very anxious. Ive since been put on to Effexor 75mg XR slow release and im no day two. Thinking I was ok with no side effects, i got in yesterday after first day and slept three hours. Absolutely exhausted. Today im exhausted too on day two, with a fuzzy headache. My blood pressure is also elevated. My question is, having changed to a slow release venfaxaline, will i now have to go through the process of waiting a couple of weeks for these side effects to calm down? I can think more rationally on venfaxaline, but still feel anxious at times, mainly because of health anxiety. I have a scan in two weeks time but dr is confident this is routine and doing it to make me convinced im ok. Its frustrating having pain whilst trying to deal with mental health issue as i seems to be a vicious cycle in that anxiety can aggravate pain? Anybody else going through this or gone through this and can give me some assurance that the side effects will ease as time progresses? Im on day 2 of effexor XR yet been on the 75mg quick release for 12 days, so im 14 days in with 75mg albeit most were quick release and now on slow release. Thank you.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Antidepressants are so individual it's impossible to say how you are going to react. I've been on Effexor 75mg XR for 25 years having tried everything else out there. It has never made me sleepy but it has helped me to survive without constantly wishing to end it all. It certainly has helped with anxiety although that was never a major problem. It took 6 weeks to kick in initially however. I wouldn't say I bounce out of bed in the morning but it keeps me on a fairly even keel. My advice would be if you can cope with the side effects give it at least 6 weeks before giving up. I have tried other SNRI drugs that my doctor wanted me to try but Effexor is the only drug that doesn't give me side effects. You don't want to miss a pill though or else you feel like crap. My daughter likes Mirtazapine because it makes her sleepy at night. Doesn't make me sleepy at all. That's why you have to keep trying until you find the perfect drug and stay with it but give it a chance to work. Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.